About This Chapter
Writing & Solving One-Step Equations - Chapter Summary
Lessons in this chapter are designed to enhance your understanding of the steps involved in writing and solving one-step equations. Developed by top instructors, these lessons offer comprehensive steps and examples to ensure you easily grasp this concept. Feel free to review these lessons at your own pace. In no time, you will be ready to:
- Explain how to write and solve addition equations and word problems with one variable
- Show the process of writing and solving one-variable subtraction equations and word problems
- Exhibit an ability to write and solve multiplication equations and word problems with one variable
- Share ways to write and solve one-variable division equations and word problems
Videos average about 8 minutes each and feature a clickable timeline you can use to skip to key topics within the lesson. Below each video is a full transcript designed for individuals who like to print and read the materials or want to highlight information and take additional notes. A short quiz is included with each lesson that you can use to test your comprehension of ways to write and solve one-step equations. A chapter exam is also available to assess your knowledge.
1. Writing & Solving Addition Equations with One Variable
After watching this video lesson, you will know how to properly write an addition equation and how to solve any addition equation that you come across. Learn what the steps are to solve these equations that have one variable in them.
2. Writing & Solving Addition Word Problems with One Variable
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to write and solve addition word problems. Learn how to read your word problem, write out the algebraic equation, and then solve it for the unknown variable.
3. Writing & Solving Subtraction Equations with One Variable
After watching this video lesson, you will know what is needed in order to write a subtraction equation. You will also know how to solve any subtraction equation that you are given or that you write.
4. Writing & Solving Subtraction Word Problems with One Variable
You will be able to solve subtraction word problems after watching this video lesson. Learn how to take your word problem from words into an algebraic expression that you can solve.
5. Writing & Solving Multiplication Equations with One Variable
After watching this video lesson, you will know the components that go into a complete multiplication equation. You will also learn the steps that are needed to solve a multiplication equation.
6. Writing & Solving Multiplication Word Problems with One Variable
After watching this video lesson, you should be able to take a multiplication word problem and translate it into an algebraic expression that you can solve. You will also learn how to solve these problems from the expressions that you write.
7. Writing & Solving Division Equations with One Variable
In this video lesson, you will learn the proper format of a division equation. Learn what components are needed for a complete division equation. Also learn what steps you need to take to solve these division equations.
8. Writing & Solving Division Word Problems with One Variable
After watching this video lesson, you should be able to solve word problems that involve the division operator. Learn how to write your math problem using an algebraic expression and then solve it.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Elementary Education Mathematics Subtest: Practice & Study Guide course
- Properties of Numbers
- Number Theory & Factoring
- Mental Math
- Properties of Equality & Operations
- Working with Fractions
- Understanding Decimals
- Working with Percents
- Understanding Rates, Ratios & Proportions
- Operations with Integers
- Solving & Graphing Rational Numbers
- Exponential & Scientific Notation
- Basic Algebraic Expressions
- Writing & Solving Two-Step Equations
- Converting Units of Measurement
- Fundamentals of Geometric Figures & Angles
- 2-D Shapes
- Understanding The Pythagorean Theorem
- Geometric Solids
- Finding Perimeter, Area & Volume
- Geometric Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- Geometric Transformations
- Number Lines & the Coordinate Graph
- Statistics & Probability