About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering material on writing technical manuals will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn how to write technical manuals. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding how to write technical manuals
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning writing (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about writing technical manuals
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra writing resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the writing technical manuals chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the writing technical manuals chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any question about writing technical manuals. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a writing technical manuals unit of a standard technical writing course. Topics covered include:
- Structure and content of manuals
- Purposes and types of manuals
- Differences and comparative benefits of print manuals and e-manuals
- Common issues in manual writing
- Purpose, content, and structure of Standard Operating Procedure manuals
- Writing process for technical manuals
1. The Purpose, Content & Structure of Manuals
As work tasks and tools become more complicated, well-developed manuals become ever more necessary and prevalent. In this lesson, you'll learn about manuals, including their purpose, content and structure.
2. Types & Purposes of Manuals
Watch this video lesson to learn about the many different kinds of manuals you can expect to come across at work. You will see that you have manuals for doing various tasks and you have manuals that you give to customers.
3. Comparing Print Manuals & E-Manuals
When considering how to distribute manuals for a new product, one of the first questions that has to be asked is whether a print manual or an e-manual will be used. In this lesson, we compare the two types.
4. Issues within Manual Writing
Manual writing is a crucial part of making any product really usable to the final customer. However, as this lesson will demonstrate, there are a number of issues that the technical writer needs to be aware of.
5. Standard Operating Procedure (SOP): Purpose, Content & Structure
Standardization is key to efficiency and productivity in the business world, and necessary in the technical and scientific realm. In this lesson, you'll learn about standard operating procedures, including their purpose, content, and structure.
6. The Writing Process for Manuals
Writing a manual is one of the most important technical writing tasks imaginable. As you can imagine, it has to be quite a bit more than just a simple 'how-to.' In this lesson, we look at how to make the best manual possible.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Technical Writing: Help and Review course
- Introduction to Technical Writing: Help and Review
- Prewriting for Technical Documents: Help and Review
- Writing Technical Documents: Help and Review
- Technical Editing & Rewriting: Help and Review
- Elements of Technical Documents: Help and Review
- Usability Testing & Technical Writing: Help and Review
- Informal Technical Reports: Help and Review
- Formal Technical Reports: Help and Review
- Business Reports for Technical Writing: Help and Review
- Technical Correspondence: Help and Review
- Technical Resumes & Cover Letters: Help and Review
- Technical Instructions: Help and Review
- Writing Proposals: Help and Review
- Language & Style
- Language in Context