About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other technical writing work.
- Identify the technical manual writing concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our Technical Writing Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about writing technical manuals and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding the content, structure, purposes, and types of technical manuals or any other technical manual writing topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their English composition learning
- Prefer learning English visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their technical manual writing unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in technical writing courses
- Don't have access to their English teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning how to write technical manuals simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live technical writing tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn to write technical manuals on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Learn the basics on the purpose and content of technical manuals and standard operating procedures.
- Discuss the various types of technical manuals.
- Explore the pros and cons of e-manuals and traditional print manuals.
- Understand the particular issues involved in writing and updating manuals.
- Describe the manual writing process.
1. The Purpose, Content & Structure of Manuals
As work tasks and tools become more complicated, well-developed manuals become ever more necessary and prevalent. In this lesson, you'll learn about manuals, including their purpose, content and structure.
2. Types & Purposes of Manuals
Watch this video lesson to learn about the many different kinds of manuals you can expect to come across at work. You will see that you have manuals for doing various tasks and you have manuals that you give to customers.
3. Comparing Print Manuals & E-Manuals
When considering how to distribute manuals for a new product, one of the first questions that has to be asked is whether a print manual or an e-manual will be used. In this lesson, we compare the two types.
4. Issues within Manual Writing
Manual writing is a crucial part of making any product really usable to the final customer. However, as this lesson will demonstrate, there are a number of issues that the technical writer needs to be aware of.
5. Standard Operating Procedure (SOP): Purpose, Content & Structure
Standardization is key to efficiency and productivity in the business world, and necessary in the technical and scientific realm. In this lesson, you'll learn about standard operating procedures, including their purpose, content, and structure.
6. The Writing Process for Manuals
Writing a manual is one of the most important technical writing tasks imaginable. As you can imagine, it has to be quite a bit more than just a simple 'how-to.' In this lesson, we look at how to make the best manual possible.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Technical Writing: Tutoring Solution course
- Technical Writing Basics: Tutoring Solution
- Elements of Prewriting: Tutoring Solution
- Writing Technical Documents: Tutoring Solution
- Technical Editing & Rewriting: Tutoring Solution
- Technical Document Characteristics: Tutoring Solution
- Usability Testing & Technical Writing: Tutoring Solution
- Informal Technical Reports: Tutoring Solution
- Formal Technical Reports: Tutoring Solution
- Business Reports and Proposals: Tutoring Solution
- Technical Correspondence: Tutoring Solution
- Resumes & Cover Letters: Tutoring Solution
- Technical Instructions: Tutoring Solution
- How to Write Proposals: Tutoring Solution