About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering techniques for answering writing and language questions on the SAT will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to practice your writing and language skills. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the types of questions on the writing section of the SAT
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning English (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to practice writing and language test strategies
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra English learning resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Writing - Writing & Language Test Practice chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Writing - Writing & Language Test Practice chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any writing and language test practice question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a writing and language unit of a standard SAT prep course. Topics covered include:
- Strategies for SAT sentence structure questions
- Approaches for sentence error questions
- Tips for questions about paragraph improvement
- SAT writing section test prep practice questions
1. Single Blank Sentence Completion Questions: Strategies & Examples
Learn about Words in Context sentence completion questions. Watch this video lesson to get some strategies for tackling Words in Context questions, and then practice in the quiz.
2. Double Blank Sentence Completion Questions: Strategies & Examples
Learn about the Standard English Conventions questions on the SAT Writing & Language Test. This lesson includes an overview, tips, and some practice problems for you to cut your teeth on.
3. Improving Sentences on the SAT: Question Types, Samples & Strategy
While the SAT may no longer designate certain questions as being focused on improving sentences, it will still test your ability to make a sentence both stronger and more stylistically in place.
4. Identifying Sentence Errors on the SAT: Question Types, Samples & Strategy
While the SAT may have done away with a dedicated category of sentence error questions, that doesn't mean that you won't be asked to answer them. In this lesson, we see how to tackle these questions.
5. Improving Paragraphs on the SAT: Question Types, Samples & Strategy
With the shift towards a passage-based exam, you can bet that there will be plenty of opportunities to improve paragraphs on the SAT. In this lesson, we'll review the skills you'll need to master those questions.
6. Practice with Improving Sentences for the SAT
With the 2016 changes to the SAT comes a new way at looking at an old skill: improving sentences. See how you'll be asked to improve sentences on this new version of the most popular college admissions test.
7. Practice with Identifying Sentence Errors for the SAT
Once you've learned what the identifying sentence errors questions are, watch this video to get some practice figuring them out for yourself. Explanations are included in case you get stuck.
8. Practice with Improving Paragraphs for the SAT
The SAT has undergone some pretty big changes as of March 2016, but that doesn't mean that the skills tested in improving paragraph questions have disappeared! In this lesson, we walk through a few practice problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SAT Prep: Help and Review course
- SAT - About the Test: Help and Review
- SAT Test Prep: General Info
- Writing - About the Writing Section: Help and Review
- Writing - Text & Argument Analysis: Help and Review
- Writing - Word Choice & Expression: Help and Review
- Writing - Standard English Grammar: Help and Review
- Writing - The Essay Portion: Help and Review
- Writing - Planning & Writing An Essay: Help and Review
- Writing - Parts of an Essay: Help and Review
- Writing - Sentence Clarity and Structure: Help and Review
- Writing - Essay Writing Skills: Help and Review
- Writing - How to Write an Argument: Help and Review
- Writing - Supporting Your Writing: Help and Review
- Writing - Revising Your Writing: Help and Review
- Writing - Grammar and Usage: Help and Review
- Reading - About the Reading Section: Help and Review
- Reading - Sentence Completions: Help and Review
- Reading - Reading Passages: Help and Review
- Reading - Understanding Reading Passages: Help and Review
- Reading - Interpreting & Analyzing Text: Help and Review
- Reading - Mastering Reading Passages: Help and Review
- Reading - Literary Terms: Help and Review
- Reading - US Documents & Speeches: Help and Review
- Math - About the Math Section: Help and Review
- Math - Numbers and Operations: Help and Review
- Math - Exponents: Help and Review
- Math - Equations and Expressions: Help and Review
- Math - Rational Equations & Expressions: Help and Review
- Math - Inequalities: Help and Review
- Math - Functions: Help and Review
- Math - Quadratic Equations: Help and Review
- Math - Ratios, Rates & Proportional Relationships: Help and Review
- Math - Unit Rate & Measurement Conversions: Help and Review
- Math - Geometry and Measurement: Help and Review
- Math - Triangles & Trigonometric Ratios: Help and Review
- Math - Data Analysis, Statistics & Probability: Help and Review
- SAT Vocabulary Practice