About This Chapter
Young Adult Literature Overview - Chapter Summary
Check out a book summary and information about the author of Twilight, biography and awards of S.E. Hinton, and other types of young adult literature in this chapter of brief lessons. Challenge yourself by answering quiz questions at the end. You will also study the following subjects in this chapter:
- Topics and themes contemporary young adult fiction
- Major works of young adult literature
- Summary and characteristics of The Kite Runner
- Characters and author of Harry Potter
The lessons and quizzes are self-paced. Plus, the chapter is mobile-friendly. Send any questions you have about the lessons or quizzes to the instructors.
1. Young Adult Literature: Major Works & Their Cultural Impact
Young adult literature is designed to appeal to young readers. This lesson will discuss some major works of young adult literature along with their cultural impact. We will end with a brief quiz to see what you have learned.
2. Contemporary Young Adult Fiction: Topics, Themes & Place
Young adult literature has grown and expanded in the last 50 years. In this lesson, you'll learn about the topics, themes, and places that appear in young adult fiction, and you'll have a chance to test your understanding with a short quiz.
3. S.E. Hinton: Biography, Books & Awards
Young adult literature wouldn't be what it is today without S.E. Hinton, whose beloved novels expanded the genre from light romance stories to real-life struggles of the teenage experience. Find out more about Hinton's life, her body of work and the awards she's received, then test your knowledge with a quiz.
4. The Kite Runner: Summary, Characters & Themes
The Kite Runner is a contemporary novel set in Afghanistan that has drawn equal amounts of praise and controversy. In this lesson, you'll learn about the main characters, the main ideas, and get a summary of the crucial events.
5. Harry Potter: Characters, Author & Facts
If you don't know who Harry Potter is, you might just be a muggle. Not to worry, though, because in this lesson you'll have the chance to meet the author of the series, along with some of her characters, who have captivated readers for nearly two decades.
6. Twilight: Book Summary, Theme & Author
Twilight is one of the most popular young adult fantasy novels within recent years. With film adaptations, fan-fiction, and a huge following of teen girls, it is easily tagged a cultural phenomenon. This lesson will give a brief overview of the book's plot and major themes, and test your knowledge with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES English Language Arts and Reading 7-12 (231): Practice & Study Guide course
- Relationships Among the Language Arts
- Teaching for Diverse Student Needs
- Strategies for Teaching English Language Learners
- English Language Development & Analysis
- Language Structure
- Strategies & Skills for Reading
- Teaching Fluency
- Teaching & Improving Reading Comprehension
- Analyzing Nonfiction Text
- Executing Research Projects
- Introduction to Literary Analysis
- Periods of American Literature
- British Literature
- World Literature Overview
- Strategies & Skills for Literary Text
- Essay Writing Fundamentals
- Writing Skills & Techniques
- Strategies for Teaching Writing & Providing Feedback
- Teaching Oral Communication
- Teaching Media Literacy
- Assessing English Language Arts & Reading
- TExES English Language Arts and Reading 7-12 Flashcards