About This Chapter
Zoology Overview - Chapter Summary
This chapter will help you brush up on all of the key zoology concepts, ranging from the nature of this branch of science to conservation methods and biodiversity. You'll also be introduced to the concept of 'species' and learn about the organisms in the Animalia Kingdom. After you've mastered everything in this chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain the branches and definition of zoology
- Point out how biological organization is split into levels
- Offer examples of binomial nomenclature
- Understand the limitations within the concept of 'species'
- Show facts and the characteristics of the Animalia Kingdom
- Explain how biodiversity relates to ecosystem stability
- Differentiate between declining biological diversity, desertification, and deforestation
- Identify methodologies for restoring and preserving ecosystems
- Understand legislation related to Indian wildlife conservation
We make studying zoology and other related science topics easier than ever before. If you have no background in zoology, make your way through the lessons one at a time. Those who need just a quick recap can also scan through the lesson titles in the chapter menu to identify which topics to review. All you need is a phone, tablet, or laptop, and you have access to hundreds of chapters and other study materials. That means you can take our lessons wherever you go, especially if you're constantly on the go.
1. What is Zoology? - Definition, Branches & Tools
This lesson will give you an overview of zoology. First, the field is defined. Then, you'll get an idea of the many branches of zoology and a taste of the wide variety of tools a zoologist may need.
2. Levels of Biological Organization
This lesson is about the organization of living things, or biological organization. Just like it can be helpful to organize your closet, scientists use a classification system to organize living things. This allows for clarity when talking about a species and provides information about an organism, just through the name!
3. Binomial Nomenclature: Definition, Classification & System
Life on Earth is incredibly diverse, with over one million species. But have you ever wondered how all these organisms are named? In this lesson, you'll learn about the scientific naming system called binomial nomenclature.
4. Concept of 'Species': Definitions & Limitations
'Species' is just a word, one that can be defined in many different ways. This lessons defines biological, ecological, morphological, and phylogenetic species concepts.
5. Animalia Kingdom: Definition, Characteristics & Facts
With over one million different species, the Animalia Kingdom is considered the largest kingdom. Its organisms also inhabit the most diverse habitats on Earth. This lesson will examine what characteristics animals possess and then will list some awesome animal facts.
6. What is Biodiversity? - Definition and Relation to Ecosystem Stability
Imagine making a list of all of the species you have ever heard of; it would be an enormous list! There are many different species on this planet. This lesson will explore the diversity of species, as well as the different types of diversity and how diversity of life is essential for maintaining healthy ecosystems.
7. Deforestation, Desertification & Declining Biological Diversity
When trees are lost due to deforestation, the result can be a drier climate and desertification or the transformation of the once fertile land to desert. Learn how deforestation and desertification can lead to a decline in biological diversity.
8. Land Conservation: Preserving and Restoring Ecosystems
Humans have degraded a large portion of natural land. The field of land conservation has become popular as a way to fix this problem. Land conservation attempts to combat land degradation through preservation, restoration, remediation, and mitigation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP EAMCET AM (Agriculture & Medical): Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Diversity in the Living World
- Plant Structures & Systems
- Overview of Plant Physiology
- Understanding Plant Reproduction
- Understanding Plant Ecology
- Understanding Plant Genetics
- Cell Structure, Function & Division
- Understanding Microbiology
- Basics of Genetics
- Biotechnology Overview
- Structural Organization of Animals
- Types of Animals
- Protozoa Basics
- Biology & Human Welfare
- Type Study of Periplaneta Americana
- Ecology & the Environment
- Human Digestion, Respiration, Circulation & Excretion Systems
- Human Muscular, Skeletal & Nervous Systems
- Human Endocrine & Immune Systems
- Understanding Human Reproduction
- Understanding Genetics & Heredity
- Organic Evolution
- Understanding the Basics of Physics
- Units & Measurement in Physics
- Understanding Motion in Physics
- Systems of Particles & Rotational Motion
- Work, Energy & Power Overview
- Overview of Oscillations
- Overview of Gravitation
- Properties of Solids, Fluids & Gases
- Thermal Properties of Matter
- Rays, Waves & Wave Optics
- Understanding Electricity
- Magnetic Force & Electromagnetism
- Currents, Waves & Circuits
- Communication Systems
- Atoms & Nuclei
- Atomic Structure Overview
- Understanding Elements & the Periodic Table
- Chemical Bonding & Molecular Structure
- States of Matter in Chemistry
- Basic Stoichiometry
- Thermodynamics & Chemistry
- Chemical Equilibrium & Acid-Bases
- Hydrogen & Hydrogen Compounds
- Alkali & Alkaline Earth Metals
- Environmental Chemistry
- Understanding Organic Chemistry
- Solids in Chemistry
- Electrochemistry & Chemical Kinetics
- Surface Chemistry
- Metallurgy Overview
- Polymers Overview
- Understanding Biomolecules
- Everyday Chemistry
- AP EAMCET AM (Agriculture & Medical) Flashcards