About This Chapter
Zoos & Animal Care Lesson Plans - Chapter Summary
Help your students understand how zoos care for their animals by incorporating these materials into your class routine. You can use the lesson plan outlines and accompanying lessons to develop your syllabus, plan your class time, and develop fun and interesting lessons that will keep your students excited and make learning easy. You will find lesson plans and related materials on zoology, zookeepers and zoo officials, zoo animals and their habitats and much more. These materials can help you:
- Create classroom lessons on zoology, zoo animals and petting zoos
- Teach your students about zoo animal habitats and plan field trips to the zoo
- Develop lessons on wild and domestic animals
- Show your students what zookeepers and zoo officials do
- Design homework and class lessons on caring for small animals
- Introduce discussion topics on animal rights and testing, animal welfare and research, and animal cruelty and many more zoo and animal care topics
How It Helps
- Provides class discussion questions/topics: Provides ideas for questions and topics related to zoos and animal care that your students can discuss in class.
- Offers learning objectives: Helps you make certain that your students meet required learning objectives concerning zoos and animal care.
- Meets curriculum standards: Allows you to be sure that your lessons on zoos and animal care are consistent with current learning requirements.
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan resources with relevant tools to make planning zoos and animal care lessons easy.
- Find lesson plans for specific zoos and animal care topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your zoos and animal care class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related zoos and animal care lessons for each lesson plan with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important zoos and animal care concepts from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant zoos and animal care-related discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Zoo Animals Lesson Plan
What kinds of animals live in the zoo? Help students answer these and other questions about zoo animals with this lesson plan. Then have students practice categorizing with a fun related activity.
2. Zoo Animals: Lesson for Kids
If you have ever taken a trip to a zoo, then you already know that there are many different animals to be seen there. Learn about the different species at the zoo, as well as advantages and disadvantages of this lifestyle.
3. Zoology Lesson Plan
You can make learning about zoology fun for your students by following this lesson plan where they will read and discuss a text lesson, identify types of zoologists, create their own zoology research plan, and take a quiz.
4. Animal Science Lesson Plan
There are so many uses for animals and animal science helps to ensure healthy interactions. Your students will be introduced to animal science as they read and discuss a text lesson and create animal science booklets.
5. Zoo Lesson Plan for Elementary School
What types of animals live at a zoo and how are they cared for? This lesson plan help you teach students key facts about zoos and includes an activity that invites students to get creative with their own zoo plans.
6. Zoo Animal Habitats Lesson Plan
With this lesson plan, students will learn about zoo animal habitats. After two hands-on games that involve student movement, they will complete a writing prompt with appropriate vocabulary.
7. Zoo Field Trip Lesson Plan
With this lesson plan, your students will spend a day analyzing animal enclosures in a zoo. They will learn to discuss how zoologists must account for animal behavioral, psychological, and physiological needs in zoos.
8. Animal Nutrition Lesson Plan
Find out more about animal nutrition by analyzing an informational text. Students will then create a meal plan for a particular animal species based on the text.
9. Animal Nutrition: Requirements & Importance
In this lesson, we'll be learning about the nutrients that animals need to survive. We'll look at the balance of different macronutrients, as well as vitamins and minerals and their purpose in the body.
10. Wild vs. Domestic Animals Lesson Plan
What are the main differences between a wild and a domestic animal? This lesson plan explains this with the help of a thorough text lesson before a group activity asks students to apply what they've learned.
11. Wild vs. Domestic Animals
What is the difference between a wild animal and a domestic animal? It seems like a simple question, but it's actually quite complex. It depends on which viewpoint you take: general, legal, or biological.
12. Zookeeper Lesson Plan for Elementary School
With this lesson plan, your students are going to explore the career of a zookeeper. They will put themselves in a zookeeper's shoes by researching a zoo animal and preparing a presentation on how to care for it.
13. Zoo Officials Lesson Plan for Elementary School
Use this imaginative lesson plan to teach your students what zoo officials are and what their job entails. Students will identify and discuss responsibilities of zoo officials, then do a zoo officials role-playing activity.
14. Petting Zoo Lesson Plan for Elementary School
This lesson plan will teach your students about life at a petting zoo. They will also participate in a fun hands-on activity that will help to reinforce what they just learned.
15. Build & Design a Zoo Games
Want to challenge your students to apply STEM skills to a real world scenario in a fun and engaging way? This lesson provides several games and activities that involve building and designing a zoo while incorporating science, technology, engineering, and math skills.
16. Circus Lesson Plan for Elementary School
What do your students know about the circus? This lesson plan provides a brief history of the circus with the help of a text lesson and an activity will help them explore common circus acts.
17. Wild Animals Lesson Plan for Elementary School
Use this lesson plan and related text lesson to teach your students about wild animals. Students will participate in discussions, play a game, and complete a writing activity to demonstrate understanding.
18. Wild Animals Lesson for Kids: Facts & Types
People are always telling you wild animals are dangerous. Could your dog or cat be a wild animal? We are going to find what it means to be a wild animal. We will look at three different types of wild animals.
19. Small Animal Care Lesson Plan
This lesson plan may be used to help your students learn how to care for small animals. Further, students will determine whether a rabbit, hamster, or guinea pig will make the best classroom pet and possibly care for that pet.
20. Designer Animals Lesson Plan
If you're studying animal breeding, this lesson is a great way to introduce crossbreeding and designer animals. Students will create small group charts/diagrams to show examples of crossbreeding. They'll also design their own crossbred animals to be part of the class's Designer Animal Zoo.
21. Crossbreeding Animals: Definition & Examples
Have you ever seen a Gerberian Shepsky or a Bullmation? Well, guess what? These creatures really exist - and they are dogs! In this lesson, discover the science of crossbreeding and some creatures you may not have heard about.
22. Animal Rights Lesson Plan
Many people are passionate about animals and their rights. This lesson discusses the different points of view regarding animal rights and welfare. Students will read a lesson, answer questions, complete an activity and take a quiz.
23. Animal Cruelty Lesson Plan
What types of behaviors constitute animal cruelty? This lesson plan opens with a text lesson that outlines critical facts about animal cruelty. An activity challenges students to identify instances of animal cruelty.
24. Animal Testing Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, students will examine the issue of animal testing. This lesson plan involves the students in activities that require critical thinking, such as writing an elevator speech summarizing their stance on the issue.
25. Animal Welfare Lesson Plan
This lesson plan is a tool for helping students learn about animal welfare. Students will research and discuss specific issues surrounding the protection of animals.
26. Animal Research Lesson Plan for Elementary School
There are many endangered species in the world. Some students may already know a few of these animals or none. This lesson will help give students a better understanding of what animals are endangered as well as information about those animals.
27. Zoo Project Ideas for School
Zoos provide amazing opportunities for students to learn about animals, but they have become controversial in recent years as activists question the ethics of keeping animals in captivity. These projects help students learn more about zoos.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Animals & Habitats Lesson Plans course
- Farm Animals Lesson Plans & Activities
- Whales & Dolphins Lesson Plans
- Ocean Animals Lesson Plans
- Animals & Life Cycles Lesson Plans
- Arctic & Antarctic Animals Lesson Plans
- Forest Animals Lesson Plans
- Grasslands Animal Facts Lesson Plans
- Rainforest Animal Facts Lesson Plans
- Animal Movement Lesson Plans & Resources
- Plant & Animal Dissection Lesson Plans