Online Administrative Assistant Courses
Online programs that train students to become administrative assistants typically feature courses in the following subjects:
- Computer Basics: Administrative assistants use a computer to complete most of their job duties. Before learning how to complete tasks, however, these professionals must have a solid grasp of the various types of software they can expect to use on a daily basis. This course provides instruction and hands-on experience with word processing, database, and spreadsheet software applications with which administrative assistants must be comfortable.
- Office Procedures: Administrative assistants are responsible for ensuring that an office runs smoothly, and in order to do this they must be familiar with the characteristics of an efficient work environment. In this course, students will learn about phone etiquette, scheduling techniques, presentation software, and email correspondence. Students enrolling in this course may be required to meet typing speed prerequisites (55 words per minute, at least).
- Document Production: Administrative assistants are commonly called upon to create documents such as announcements, meeting minutes, or memos, and this course provides students with the tools to create effective and error-free messages. This course focuses on the proper use of Microsoft Word in designing and editing workplace documents, with tasks such as file storage & management, document merging, and proofreading.
- Interpersonal Communication: A communication course taken online can help students learn effective ways of communication with colleagues, employers, customers and others. Both verbal and non-verbal communication is discussed, including body language, tone of voice, and unconscious communication.
- Travel and Meeting Planning: In the workplace, you may be required to plan local, national, or international meetings for your employer or employees. This online course teaches students different ways to coordinate and plan these meetings, as well as the travel that they may entail.
- Teambuilding: Developing a successful team is not always easy, and this online course covers the basics on building a successful one. Students can learn effective leadership and management strategies, creative problem solving and team-based decision making.
Career Options and Outlook
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (www.bls.gov), the workforce demand for secretaries and administrative assistants is expected to increase by approximately 3% over the 2014-2024 decade. Occupational opportunities in the administrative assistant realm tend to include the following:
- Administrative support specialist
- Office assistant
- Information processing specialist
- Project coordinator
- Program assistant
Many local technical colleges have developed courses for prospective administrative assistants that can be completed entirely online. Associate's degree programs require the completion of general education coursework in addition to studies specific to administrative assisting.
Common e-learning delivery systems used by many colleges and universities are the Blackboard Academic Suite software, streaming audio and video, discussion boards, virtual chat rooms and online quizzes. Online administrative assistant classes normally take up a semester and run in sync with on-campus classes. Students are usually able to complete courses at their own pace, though instructors typically make due dates for assignments and exams.
Aspiring administrative assistants have the option of completing coursework entirely online. A range of subjects are covered through online learning, including communication, team-building, and office procedures, all designed to familiarize you with the modern office and administrative experience.