Tampa, FL, Air Conditioning Training Schools
There are a few schools in the Tampa area where air conditioning (AC) training is available, often combined with heating and refrigeration instruction. This article gives an overview of three that are no more than 45 minutes from downtown Tampa, along with information on the air conditioning programs they offer. Also included here is a table of information about the schools, such as size, graduation rate and costs. These facts will be helpful to students who are making a decision on where to enroll.
- Erwin Technical College (ETC) is less than six miles from downtown Tampa and has a certificate program that offers both day and evening class schedules.
- Pinellas Technical College (PTEC), which has two campuses in the Tampa region, houses a certificate program at its St. Petersburg campus, about 20 miles from downtown Tampa. The campus in Clearwater hosts an air conditioning apprenticeship program.
- Traviss Technical College is about 32 miles from downtown Tampa and awards occupational completion points (OCPs) upon the fulfillment of different levels of its air conditioning training program.
Comparison of Schools
When choosing a school, individuals need to consider many factors. The following table offers a side-by-side look at these three schools, making comparison simple.
|Erwin Technical College||Pinellas Technical College - St. Petersburg Campus||Traviss Technical College|
|School Type||2-year; public||2-year; public||Less than 2-year; public|
|Total Enrollment (2017)||1,015*||764*||340*|
|Campus Setting||Large city||Large city||Fringe rural|
|Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2017-2018)||$3,753*||$2,190*||$3,251 in-state; $11,805 out-of-state*|
|% of First-Year Students Receiving Any Form of Financial Aid (2016-2017)||68%*||94%*||60%*|
|Acceptance Rate||N/A - Open admissions||N/A - Open admissions||N/A - Open admissions|
|Retention Rate (2016-2017)||81%*||78%*||30%*|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (2014-2015 start date)||72%*||58%*||94%*|
Sources: *NCES College Navigator
Erwin Technical College
Erwin Technical College is part of the Hillsborough County Public Schools system. Students in the AC program can choose from daytime and evening schedules.
Air Conditioning, Refrigeration and Heating Technology Certificate
ETC's AC program can help students become technicians, installers, or mechanics. The program begins with instruction on refrigeration theory, basic tools, system components, and communication. Students undertake further training that covers line sizing, electrical motors, system recovery, and air quality. The program culminates with courses in subjects like evaporative condensers, heating systems, and advanced troubleshooting. About 80% of the program consists of hands-on work, while the remaining 20% is made up of classroom work and independent study.
Pinellas Technical College - St. Petersburg Campus
The articulation agreement PTEC has with nearby St. Petersburg College (SPC) allows students to transfer their credits from the air conditioning curriculum to the SPC industrial management technology associate degree program.
Air Conditioning, Refrigeration, and Heating Technology Certificate
This PTEC certificate program includes training in such techniques as brazing, soldering, and equipment component installation, in addition to areas like safety, electricity, and air quality. Students also complete coursework in preventive maintenance and control wiring. The program curriculum is designed to prepare students to acquire several professional certifications, including the various levels of HVAC certification from the National Center for Construction, Education, and Research, and the Refrigerant Handling Certification bestowed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Traviss Technical College
The AC program at Traviss Technical College is organized into occupational completion points (OCPs), which students are granted upon the completion of specific segments of the program.
Air Conditioning, Refrigeration, and Heating Technology Training Program
The AC, refrigeration, and heating technology curriculum includes training in the repair, installation, and maintenance of air conditioning equipment and systems. This program offers students a combination of classroom and shop instruction. Students additionally learn about the components and operation of heating and cooling appliances along with theoretical and practical aspects of air quality and treatment. During the course of the program, students undergo testing to become EPA Certified Technicians.