The area surrounding and including Alexandria, LA, includes relatively few postsecondary options. We use the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) to compare the traditional schools in the area, allowing local readers to see if any represent a good educational fit.
Closest Schools to Alexandria, Louisiana
Students wishing to stay close to Alexandria have a few 4-year schools and a 2-year school to choose from. All but one of the four traditional schools are public institutions.
- Louisiana College (3 miles from downtown)
- Central Louisiana Technical Community College (3.4 miles from downtown)
- Louisiana State University-Alexandria (3.4 miles from downtown)
- Northwestern State University of Louisiana (49.3 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Alexandria, Louisiana
Despite there only being four traditional schools in the area, all of them are relatively large with more than 1,000 students. A couple of them even offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
- Northwestern State University of Louisiana (9,179 students)
- Louisiana State University-Alexandria (3,104 students)
- Central Louisiana Technical Community College (2,445 students)
- Louisiana College (1,092 students)
Lowest Net Price
The NCES calculates a school's net price by subtracting the average amount of financial aid awarded to students from the total cost to attend the school. This calculation applies to beginning, full-time undergraduate students; at public schools, the figure uses in-state tuition levels. The traditional schools located near Alexandria all had a net price lower than $15,000 for the 2014-2015 school year.
- Louisiana State University-Alexandria ($7,218)
- Central Louisiana Technical Community College ($8,636)
- Northwestern State University of Louisiana ($9,290)
- Louisiana College ($14,002)
Highest Graduation Rates
The NCES determines a school's overall graduation rate by calculating the number of full-time undergraduate students who complete their chosen program of study within 150% of the 'normal time' for the degree. Most schools near Alexandria have a graduation rate less than 50% for 2015.
- Central Louisiana Technical Community College (72% graduation rate)
- Northwestern State University of Louisiana (38% graduation rate)
- Louisiana College (33% graduation rate)
- Louisiana State University-Alexandria (26% graduation rate)
Students can still choose from different school locations, sizes, prices, and graduation rates in the Alexandria, LA, area, even though there are only four traditional schools available.