Prospective students in Alexandria, VA have a number of options available in the surrounding area, including a community college, a Baptist college and a large public university. To help students make an informed choice, we examine traditional schools with diverse course offerings using statistics from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Alexandria, Virginia
Most of the closest schools to Alexandria are specialized schools, focusing on only a few areas of study. Of the more traditional schools, the majority are 4-year institutions.
- Strayer University-Alexandria Campus (1.3 miles from downtown)
- DeVry University-Virginia (2.8 miles from downtown)
- Strayer University-Virginia (5 miles from downtown)
- Argosy University-Washington DC (5.3 miles from downtown)
- Marymount University (6.8 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Alexandria, Virginia
The majority of the larger schools near Alexandria are private institutions, but the two largest schools in the area are public schools. Several of the larger schools offer graduate degrees in addition to undergraduate degrees.
- Northern Virginia Community College (51,487 students)
- George Mason University (33,729 students)
- Strayer University-Virginia (6,850 students)
- Marymount University (3,441 students)
- Stratford University (2,971 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
Cost is an important factor for many students, so comparing colleges with the lowest average net prices may be a sound idea. The net price is determined by subtracting the amount of institutional and governmental financial aid the average full-time undergraduate student receives from the total cost of attending the school. Here are the traditional schools in the Alexandria area with some of the lowest net prices for 2014-2015, per the NCES.
- Northern Virginia Community College ($8,965)
- Argosy University-Washington DC ($14,471)
- George Mason University ($17,316)
- Stratford University ($22,509)
- Marymount University ($25,008)
Highest Graduation Rate
A college's overall graduation rate is the percentage of full-time undergraduate students who complete a program within 150% of the 'usual' timeframe (six years for a bachelor's degree, for example). Only a couple traditional schools in the Alexandria area have graduation rates of 50% or higher for 2015. The information in this section comes from the NCES.
- George Mason University (69% graduation rate)
- Marymount University (50% graduation rate)
- Stratford University (40% graduation rate)
- Northern Virginia Community College (23% graduation rate)
- Strayer University (20% graduation rate)
The Alexandria, VA, area offers several 2-year and 4-year traditional schools that give students a range of location, size, price, and graduation rates to choose from.