The Allen Park area offers a wide range of postsecondary options for students wanting to pursue higher education. We compare and contrast the traditional schools in the area based on information provided by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) in four different categories.
Closest Schools to Allen Park, Michigan
The closest schools to Allen Park are mostly less than 2-year specialty schools. Of the traditional schools nearby, they are a fairly even mix of 2-year and 4-year institutions.
- Baker College of Allen Park (located downtown)
- ITT Technical Institute-Dearborn (3.6 miles from downtown)
- Henry Ford College (5.3 miles from downtown)
- University of Michigan-Dearborn (5.3 miles from downtown)
- Wayne County Community College District (9.8 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Allen Park, Michigan
The largest schools near Allen Park are all public institutions. Several of them offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs for interested students.
- Wayne State University (27,140 students)
- Macomb Community College (22,182 students)
- Eastern Michigan University (21,824 students)
- Oakland Community College (21,061 students)
- Wayne County Community College District (16,654 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
Knowing how much a student will actually have to spend on school is an important factor when deciding which school to attend. In order to make it easier to compare the out-of-pocket cost of various schools, the NCES uses net price, a figure calculated by taking the total cost of tuition, books, room and board, and other fees and subtracting from that number the average amount of financial aid received by full-time undergrad students who attend that school. Net prices in the area ranged from about $4,000 to $35,000 for 2014-2015.
- Henry Ford College ($3,928)
- Oakland Community College ($4,175)
- Schoolcraft College ($4,854)
- Wayne County Community College District ($5,337)
- Macomb Community College ($7,173)
Highest Graduation Rate
The graduation rate for a school can give a prospective student some information about how devoted that school is to the success of each of their students. The graduation rate, as given by the NCES, is based on the number of full-time undergraduate students who complete their studies in 150% of the time normally allotted for their program. In other words, a bachelor's degree program is normally completed in 4 years, so 150% of that time would be 6 years. Most traditional institutions in the area had rates below 50% in 2015.
- University of Detroit Mercy (63% graduation rate)
- Madonna University (61% graduation rate)
- Lawrence Technological University (56% graduation rate)
- University of Michigan-Dearborn (53% graduation rate)
- Eastern Michigan University (40% graduation rate)
The Allen Park, MI, area is home to an array of 2-year and 4-year institutions that give students a wide range of options when it comes to school location, size, price, and graduation rates.