Most of the traditional schools around Allentown are private not-for-profit institutions, but there are also several public colleges and universities. Considering several options will be easier if you use the data gathered from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) concerning proximity, student populations, net costs, and graduation rates.
Closest Schools to Allentown, Pennsylvania
If distance is your priority, then studying within Allentown, Pennsylvania, will be very convenient since the five nearest schools are located within about 4 miles of the city. In addition, all these institutions offer certificate, undergraduate, and graduate level programs.
- Cedar Crest College (3.1 miles)
- Muhlenberg College (3.1 miles)
- Moravian College (3.7 miles)
- DeSales University (4.3 miles)
- Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Lehigh Valley (4.3 miles)
Largest Schools Near Allentown, Pennsylvania
The school with the largest student population nearby Allentown, Pennsylvania, is Northampton County Area Community College. In Fall 2014, this 2-year public college had a total student population of 10,269, all of whom were undergraduates. Other schools with large student populations in the area included 2-year and 4-year public and private not-for-profit institutions.
- Kutztown University of Pennsylvania (8,995 students; 8,288 undergraduates)
- Lehigh University (7,054 students; 5,075 undergraduates)
- Lehigh Carbon Community College (6,738 students; all undergraduates)
- DeSales University (3,136 students; 2,291 undergraduates)
- Lafayette College (2,533 students; all undergraduates)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The NCES calculates each school's net price by subtracting the average amount of financial aid full-time undergraduate students receive from the total cost of attending the school. During the 2014-2015 school year, the net prices of traditional schools in the Allentown area ranged from more than $5,000 to about $35,000.
- Lehigh Carbon Community College ($5,152)
- Northampton County Area Community College ($6,414)
- Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Lehigh Valley ($13,760)
- Cedar Crest College ($18,500)
- Kutztown University of Pennsylvania ($18,822)
Highest Graduation Rate
The success rate of potential schools may be another important factor for prospective students. The NCES determines overall graduation rates based on the percentage of full-time undergraduate students who completed their degree programs within 150% of the 'normal time' for that program (e.g. 6 years for a bachelor's degree). Nearly all of the schools in the Allentown vicinity had graduation rates of 50% or better, but the following five schools had the highest graduation rates in 2015.
- Lafayette College (90% graduation rate)
- Lehigh University (88% graduation rate)
- Muhlenberg College (85% graduation rate)
- DeSales University (70% graduation rate)
- Moravian College (69% graduation rate)
The data provided by the NCES are very useful when considering your school options in Allentown, Pennsylvania.