We take a closer look at public and private institutions near Altoona, allowing students to see if any are a good match for their educational needs based on a variety of data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Altoona, Pennsylvania
The Altoona, PA, region is home to multiple postsecondary business and career training centers, along with a handful of more traditional 2- and 4-year colleges and universities. Those traditional schools that are within roughly ten miles of downtown Altoona include:
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Altoona (0.0 miles)
- Greater Altoona Career and Technology Center (1.5 miles)
- South Hills School of Business and Technology - Altoona (1.5 miles)
- YTI Career Institute - Altoona (1.5 miles)
- Mount Aloysius College (10.2 miles)
Largest Schools Near Altoona, Pennsylvania
Although they are in the 'largest schools' category, Altoona schools are not very large, comparatively. Here you will find one 2-year college, one 4-year public university and three 4-year private colleges that are larger for schools in the area.
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Altoona (3,903)
- Saint Francis University (2,667)
- Mount Aloysius College (1,867)
- Juniata College (1,632)
- YTI Career Institute - Altoona (334)
Lowest Net Price
The NCES determines the average net cost of a school by deducting the average amount of financial aid received from the total cost of attendance. Schools in the Altoona area range in average net price from about $10,500 to $26,000. The following schools are the least expensive in the region, according to the NCES figures for 2014-2015 for full-time undergraduates.
- DuBois Business College - Huntingdon ($10,471)
- Mount Aloysius College ($20,816)
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Altoona ($22,318)
- Saint Francis University ($25,291)
- Juniata College ($26,035)
Highest Graduation Rates
Schools in the area surrounding Altoona have relatively high graduation rates, with all institutions within 25 miles of the city reporting rates higher than 50% with one exception. The NCES defines a school's overall graduation rate as the percentage of students who are able to graduate within 150% of the normal time required by a program. The following are the schools in the Altoona region with higher graduation rates.
- Greater Altoona Career & Technology Center (75%)
- Juniata College (73%)
- Saint Francis University (72%)
- YTI Career Institute - Altoona (68%)
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Altoona (68%)
Prospective college students interested in completing a program in or near Altoona, PA, can consider cost, graduation rates, location and size to help choose the right 2- or 4-year school for them.