Where Can I Find a Free Graphic Designing Course?
Graphic design tutorials are typically found on designer websites and through blogs; however, some colleges may offer graphic design courses online. Colleges and universities offering courses typically do not offer credit, and students may need to have access to specific software, such as Adobe Flash, Illustrator or Photoshop, to get the full benefit of the tutorial.
About.com offers a variety of free lessons on graphic design.
- Graphic Design Basics teaches users the fundamentals of graphic design by demonstrating the elements and principles of the field through two basic classes.
- Introduction to the Elements of Design teaches users about shapes, lines, texture, mass and color. Within the course, students will create a folder of design samples to use throughout the individual lessons.
Absolute Cross offers users free tutorials on graphic design and Photoshop.
- How to Use Drupal's Contemplate Module requires users to download a module before beginning the tutorial focused on learning how to detail aspects of HTML code.
- Typewriter allows students to learn how to use Adobe Flash to create an animated graphic typewriter effect without using Actionscripts.
African Virtual University
One of the schools listed in the Open Courseware Consortium, African Virtual University offers a course that provides an overview of graphic tools.
- Multimedia Design and Applications is available in a full module and offers further readings. The course examines digital resources, web design and 3D objects.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
For this course, MIT offers lecture notes, exams and assignments with no solutions.
- Computer Graphics includes 23 lectures that are offered in PDF format. The course covers topics like transformations, animation and color effects.
Planet Photoshop offers various tutorials and videos to users for free on a variety of subjects related to Photoshop.
- Long Exposure Slap Zoom Effect is focused on creating a zoom effect for images using Photoshop. This tutorial takes users through a step-by-step process of creating this visual effect.
- Your Pen Tool shows the proper use of the pen tool. Learners receive instruction on using the pen tool to create various shapes.
University of California - Berkeley
The University of California - Berkeley offers a wealth of digital media tutorials through the KDMC. These free tutorials feature several lessons.
- CSS Layout with HTML5 trains learners to structure a document and create gradients and floating images; the tutorial also explores typography on the web.
- Multimedia Storytelling examines concepts in storyboarding and editing, along with using video and graphics.
W3schools.com instructs users on the basics of HTML through a variety of web design tutorials that offer several different lessons.
- HTML Tutorial includes resources such as quizzes, references and exams. Within the tutorial, students explore concepts in formatting, blocks, layouts, elements and links.
Alison offers plenty of free courses that take you step-by-step through the design topics of your choice. Additionally, some of these are free online graphic design courses with certificates of completion.
- Graphic Design - Visual and Graphic Design is a detailed course that touches on the fundamental elements of design, including lines, textures, forms, and lettering.
- Design - Applying Design Principlestakes students through the elements of successful graphic design through eight detailed examples.
Youthedesigner.com offers free online graphic designer tutorials that feature a variety of lessons and step-by-step instructions.
- Adobe InDesign Tutorials for Beginners includes 11 lessons covering type, frames, graphics and layouts.
- 5 Amazing Vector Portrait Tutorials! demonstrates how to create vector portraits using a variety of styles, such as geometric styles, textured effects and layering, using Adobe Illustrator software.
Udemy is a popular source for budding graphic designers, providing plenty of courses that touch on practical fundamentals and theory. These are free graphic design courses awarding certificates upon completion.
- Professional Logo Design in Adobe Illustrator offers extensive tutorials on the basic principles of logo design.
- Introduction to Graphic Design teaches basic design principles, design theory, and the design process.