68P Army Civilian Jobs

Army 68P veterans are specialists in radiology used for diagnostics and treatment. They may be able to build upon that experience and interest and branch out into a number of fields. Below are opportunities for radiology specialists.

Career Comparison

Job Title Median Wage (2016)* Job Growth (2016-2026)* Applicable Military Skills/Traits
Radiologic and MRI Technologists $58,960 13% Experience with radiological and imaging equipment
Nuclear Medicine Technologists $74,350 10% Experience in diagnostic settings
Radiation Therapists $80,160 13% Experience with patients and treatment facilities
Biomedical Engineers $85,620 7% Hands-on experience with medical equipment in the treatment environment
Radiologists $206,920 (physicians and surgeons, all other) 11% (physicians and surgeons, all other) Experience with patients, treatment facilities, and radiological equipment

Source: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Civilian Careers for Army Radiology Specialist 68P

Veterans in this category may be certified as registered technician (radiography) or registered technician (nuclear medicine technologist), provided they met the educational requirements. The skills gained in military duty may be an asset in seeking a civilian position.

Radiologic and MRI Technologists

Veterans have experience performing radiology and MRI scans. They are competent with the equipment, patient care, and adjustment of settings. This is a position which to a large extent they have already been performing to the military standard.

Radiologic and MRI technologists perform medical scans for diagnostic purposes. In radiology, the scans are typically called x-rays. These technologists have a thorough understanding of the safety procedures, patient care, and assembly and operation of the scanning devices. The requirements of this career vary by state, but an associate's degree as well as certification are generally required.

Nuclear Medicine Technologists

This field is closely related to the radiology specialist description, although in the civilian workforce it is regarded as a separate profession. 68P veterans will find this to be an appropriate field to pursue due to their military experience.

Nuclear medicine technologists give patients low-dose radioactive drugs that can be seen in radiology images. This technology makes it easier to see and diagnose problems. The nuclear medicine technologist takes the scans with equipment, similar to the radiology technician. This position requires an associate's degree, and certification varies by state.

Radiation Therapists

For those radiologists who want to move beyond diagnostics to treatment, this may be a good choice. Military training, experience working with patients in a diagnostic setting, and experience working with technology may help to prepare 68P veterans for success in this field.

Radiation therapists administer radiation treatments to patients in order to treat cancer and other diseases. They work under the supervision of physicians in hospitals, treatment centers, and offices. An associate's degree is required, and in most states certification is required as well.

Biomedical Engineers

Veteran radiology specialists who enjoyed working at the interface of high-tech machinery and human biology may find that a career in engineering is interesting. Previous experience working with technology in the medical field may yield a uniquely insightful perspective.

Biomedical engineers build the machines and equipment used in medical care and treatment. They design and build the x-ray machines and other scanners found in diagnostic centers. They also design and build pacemakers, surgery equipment, and ventilators; in short, much of what is found in a typical medical setting was designed, tested, and developed by biomedical engineers. This career requires a bachelor's degree.


For the truly ambitious radiology specialist, a career as a radiologist is not out of line. This position is a fully accredited physician career, meaning that it requires a medical degree and an internship. For the right 68P veterans this could be a good choice.

Radiologists are specialists with radiation treatments and diagnostics. They are trained to read x-rays and digital imagery and to make diagnoses from that information. They also have training in how to use radiation to treat cancer and other diseases that are responsive to radiation.

Next: View Schools
Created with Sketch. Link to this page

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?