School and Ranking Information
About 28 schools within a 25-mile radius of the downtown Westminster area offer programs in accounting and finance. Based on location, program offerings and rankings, the best three schools are University of Denver (DU), University of Colorado - Denver (CU-Denver), and Regis University (RU).
- Winner: University of Denver is ranked 83rd among national universities by U.S. News and World Report. Through its Daniels College of Business (Daniels), it offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs in accounting and finance.
- Runner-Up #1: University of Colorado - Denver is also nationally ranked. It has a bachelor's of science (B.S.) program in business administration (BA), with emphasis options in accounting and finance, and also M.S. degree offerings in accounting and finance. A professional MBA is also offered, with specialization in finance.
- Runner-Up #2: Regis University is a high ranked regional university in the western U.S., and through its school of management, it features a B.S. in accounting and finance. The school further offers MBA programs with specializations, including accounting and finance.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of Denver||Colorado University - Denver||Regis University|
|Ranking(s)||83rd for national universities*, 72nd for undergraduate business programs in 2012, nationwide*||189th for national universities*, 117th for undergraduate business programs in 2012, nationwide*||29th for regional universities in 2013 (West)*, 125th for online graduate business programs, nationwide*|
|Location||Denver, CO (11 miles from downtown Westminster)||Denver, CO (6 miles from downtown Westminster)||Denver, CO (3 miles from downtown Westminster)|
|School Type||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, public||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)||$39,177 (undergraduate), $38,526 (graduate)**||$7,494 (in-state, undergraduate), $21,006 (out-of-state, undergraduate); $7,358 (graduate, in-state), $20,676 (graduate, out-of-state)**||$31,800 (undergraduate), $10,806 (graduate)**|
|Accounting Degree Levels Offered||Bachelor's and master's degrees**||Master's degrees**||Bachelor's and master's (online) degrees; post-graduate certificates**|
|Accounting Degrees (all levels) Awarded in 2011-2012||145**||76**||203**|
|Most Popular Accounting Program in 2011-2012||Bachelor's degree (87 awarded)**||master's degree (76 awarded)**||Bachelor's degree (139 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2005 Entering Class||78%**||40%**||62%**|
|Noteworthy||Female students can enroll in Women's College, with single sex classes||School vision is by 2020 for CU to be leading public university with a global reputation||Private institution founded in 1877 in Catholic and Jesuit tradition|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator
Winner: University of Denver
- In 2012, DU was ranked 13th among up-and-coming schools, according to U.S. News & World Report
- Cherrington Global Scholars program offers study-abroad options on six continents at no additional cost
- The overall student-faculty ratio is 12:1, according to NCES
DU with its Daniels College offers a B.S. in accountancy (BSAcc), a BSBA in finance, Master of Accountancy (MAcc), M.S. in finance, and MBA programs with accounting and finance concentrations. The BSAcc requires 186 units, with business core in decision making, analytics, law, and marketing. The accounting core covers information systems, financial statements, auditing, cost management, and taxation. An accelerated five-year program is offered, combining undergraduate and graduate degrees. The BSBA finance major requires courses in corporate finance, financial markets and investments, with students able to focus further on modeling, forecasting, theory, or bank management. International experience is required for both undergraduate degrees. The stand-alone MAcc program is two years, and covers financial database management, financial accounting, auditing and managerial accounting. The M.S. in finance allows students to focus on investment or corporate finance, with seminars, internships and independent study. The MBA program has students choose a concentration in accounting or finance. A capstone project is required, with summer internships available, as well as a nine-day, business-oriented international travel experience. Minor offerings in accounting and finance are also available.
Runner-Up #1: University of Colorado - Denver
- CU-Denver and the Anschutz Medical Campus is first in research in the state
- 108th for top public schools in 2013 by U.S. News & World Report
- CU-Denver offers 132 degree programs from among 130 areas of study
CU-Denver has BSBA and M.S. programs emphasizing accounting or finance. MBA programs are offered, including the Professional MBA, with finance specialization. The accounting core requirements include financial and cost accounting, data processing and accounting systems, auditing, and tax accounting. Students may choose to specialize in these areas of study. Finance core courses include investment and portfolio management, corporate or international finance, and business capital. Finance specializations are information systems or risk management and insurance. CPA licensing in the state is changing effective 2015, with additional courses needed to satisfy education requirements.
The 30-hour M.S. in accounting curriculum includes multinational financial reporting specialization, with financial reporting and analysis. Concentrations include U.S. GAAP and international reporting standards, and taxation. The finance graduate program requires a core of 18 hours that includes quantitative methods, applied economics, macroeconomics, and futures and options. Students can make their MBA experience unique by specialization. Students interested in finance choose investment management analysis, business firm evaluation, forecasting, and corporate risk management.
Runner-Up #2: Regis University
- 90th for online bachelor's program by U.S. News & World Report
- RU had an 87% acceptance rate for 2011, according to NCES
- NCES statistics showed 99% of full-time beginning undergraduates received financial aid in 2011-2012
The B.S. in accounting degree offered by RU is available both on campus and online. The undergraduate core includes courses from English composition, through mathematics and philosophy, culminating in 16 accounting courses satisfying the accounting core. Upper division accounting classes include income tax, auditing, business finance, ethical decision making, and conclude with a capstone experience. The B.S. in finance offers students a curriculum allowing pursuit of opportunities through financial analysis, forecasting and planning, money and banking and managing technologies. Students eligible for the Series 7 specialty certificates and CPA exam have access to discounted exam preparation offered by the school. The MBA Finance and Accounting degree requires 36 credits, with MBA core work requiring economics of management, developing effective organizations, and financial governance. The accounting and finance coursework includes interpreting accounting information, financial decision making, and a capstone course.