School and Ranking Information
There are only three nonprofit or public schools in and within 25 miles of Tulsa, OK, offering accounting programs. Based on rankings and graduation rates, the following universities are considered the top Tulsa schools for accounting studies:
- Winner: With highly ranked business programs and the highest graduation rate, the University of Tulsa lands in the top spot. It also awards the highest number of total degrees in accounting. Students can earn a certificate or a bachelor's or master's degree in this field.
- Runner Up #1: Oral Roberts University is named the first runner up because of its regional ranking and high graduation and job placement rates. It awards bachelor's and master's degrees in accounting.
- Runner Up #2: Rogers State University places third among the schools because it is not ranked and has the lowest graduation rate. It does, however, award the second-highest number of accounting degrees and offers the lowest tuition. Its accounting programs are at the associate's and bachelor's degree levels.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of Tulsa||Oral Roberts University||Rogers State University|
|Rankings|| 93rd among best graduate business schools (2013)*,
141st among best undergraduate business programs (2012)*,
83rd among top national universities (2013)*
|53rd among top regional universities - West (2013)*||N/A|
|Location||Tulsa, OK||Tulsa, OK||Claremore, OK (located 24 miles from Tulsa)|
|School Type||4-year, private, not-for-profit||4-year, private, not-for-profit||4-year, public|
|Tuition and Fees in 2012-2013|| $33,095 (undergraduate),
| $21,576 (undergraduate),
| $5,047 (in-state, undergraduate),
$11,572 (out-of-state, undergraduate)**
|Accounting Degree Levels Offered||Bachelor's and master's degrees; certificate||Bachelor's and master's degrees||Associate's and bachelor's degrees|
|Accounting Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2011-2012||20**||12**||17**|
|Most Popular Accounting Degree in 2011-2012||Bachelor's degree (20 awarded)**||Bachelor's degree (12 awarded)**||Associate's degree (17 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2006 Entering Class||66%**||51% (18% transfer-out rate)**||16% (36% transfer-out rate)**|
|Noteworthy||Accounting classrooms are equipped with computers and video projection equipment||90% of accounting majors receive job offers before graduating, according to the school||Accounting tutoring is offered through the School of Business and Technology|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **National Center for Education Statistics.
Winner: University of Tulsa
- Business programs are accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International
- Students can complete a 4+1 bachelor's and master's accounting degree plan
- The master's degree program ensures that students meet minimum state requirements for CPA licensure
- Graduates from the accounting certificate program may be eligible to sit for the Certified Internal Auditor and/or Certified Management Accountant exams
While the Bachelor of Science in Accounting program at the University of Tulsa requires 124 credits, students can supplement their education by taking additional credits, pursuing a double major or earning a joint bachelor's-master's degree to meet the state's CPA eligibility requirement of 150 credits. Courses in the bachelor's degree program include accounting processes, financial accounting research, internal reporting, federal income taxation and auditing. The Master of Accountancy degree program features courses in financial reporting, assurance, tax research and financial systems. An internship is also required. The accounting certificate can prepare students for entry-level positions or may help with advancement opportunities.
Runner Up #1: Oral Roberts University
- Business programs are accredited through the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs
- The Accounting Society provides students with an opportunity to take part in events and activities
- The group Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE) offers students a chance to work on local, regional and national projects
The accounting Bachelor of Science degree program includes courses in financial and managerial accounting, cost accounting, tax accounting and quantitative analysis. Graduates may find employment as public accountants, consultants or accounting advisors. Students who want to meet the minimum CPA credit requirement are encouraged to enroll in the 5-year professional Master of Business Administration program, which offers a concentration in accounting. In addition to an internship, the accounting concentration includes coursework in intermediate and advanced accounting, auditing, accounting information systems, non-profit accounting and gift/estate taxation.
Runner Up #2: Rogers State University
- Students have an opportunity to participate in RSU's chapter of Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE)
- Internships and co-op opportunities are available; past students have worked with major companies like Kraft and ConocoPhilips
Rogers State University offers associate's and bachelor's degree programs in accounting. The Associate in Arts in Accounting is a 62-credit program that includes courses in accounting, cost accounting, business statistics and business communications. Students gain skills in creating reports, balancing accounts and managing accounts, and they have the option of pursuing an entry-level career or transferring into a bachelor's degree program. The Bachelor of Science in Business Administration offers an accounting concentration, and the program requires a total of 124 credits. Students must take a set of core business courses, and accounting courses cover topics in accounting information systems, cost accounting, intermediate accounting, auditing and tax accounting.