School and Ranking Information
In the Philadelphia area, students looking for a Master of Business Administration program with a concentration in accounting only have a few schools to choose from. The following three schools were selected based upon rankings and program features. All schools have Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) accredited MBA programs that prepare students to take the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam or Chartered Management Accountant (CMA) exam.
- Winner: The University of Pennsylvania (Penn) is the only school of the top three to have a nationally ranked accounting graduate program. It also has the highest ranking business school in the nation.
- Runner Up #1: St. Joseph's University has a part-time MBA program ranked among the top 100. It features graduate scholarship programs and a small student-faculty ratio.
- Runner Up #2: La Salle University is a nationally ranked university that awarded the most accounting master's degrees of all three schools. It also has an undergraduate accounting program.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of Pennsylvania||St. Joseph's University||La Salle University|
|Rankings (2014)||2nd among accounting graduate programs*; 1st among graduate business schools*; 7th among national universities*||81st among part-time MBA programs*; 11th among regional universities in the North*||190th among part-time MBA programs*; 27th among regional universities in the North*|
|Location||Philadelphia, PA||Philadelphia, PA||Philadelphia, PA|
|School Type||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Graduate Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||$31,744**||$14,200**||$21,150**|
|Accounting Degree Levels Offered||Bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees||Bachelor's and master's degrees||Bachelor's and master's degrees|
|Master's Degrees in Accounting Awarded in 2012-2013||7**||6**||31**|
|Noteworthy||Accounting faculty received teaching excellence awards in 2014 and 2012||Business schools is consistently ranked among the top business programs in the nation by The Princeton Review and Aspen Institute||40% of business school grads find a job through the alumni network***|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator, *** La Salle University.
University of Pennsylvania
- 30% of Wharton MBA students pursue a double major
- Undergraduate accounting program ranked 7th by U.S. News & World Report in 2014
- Global learning options include modular courses, immersion programs, practicums and exchange programs
Penn's Wharton School is home to an MBA program that features 18 specialization options, including a focus in accounting. The accounting department has around 25 faculty members and offers a research program with a focus in international accounting standards, financial instrument accounting, executive compensation and more. MBA students take coursework in such areas as cost management, tax management and administration, auditing, taxes and business strategy, accounting for mergers and acquisitions and complex financial structures, among others.
St. Joseph's University
- Erivan K. Haub School of Business offers a graduate merit scholarship program and graduate assistantships for MBA students
- MBA program has a student-faculty ratio of 15:1
- Business school offers a Phi Beta Kappa chapter
The Haub School's MBA program has eight concentrations in addition to the general MBA. The accounting MBA program emphasizes financial accounting and tax policy and culminates with a capstone course. Of the nearly 320 faculty at St. Joseph's University around 12 teach in the accounting MBA program. Accounting students who want to expand their knowledge can pursue a post-MBA certificate in another field, such as financial analysis and reporting, international business or business intelligence.
La Salle University
- School of Business offers a 4-year BS/MBA program
- Executive MBA program available in Switzerland
- Experiential learning and high tech business center scheduled to open in 2016
La Salle University offers a variety of MBA options for students, including full-time, part-time, online and Saturday programs. The MBA program is open to both business professionals and students who've just completed their undergraduate degrees. Students can choose from six concentrations, including an accounting program. About 70 students are enrolled in the full-time MBA program, and the School of Business has almost 40 faculty members.