Acrylic nail technician jobs require certification or licensure, so students must check with their particular state to make sure that their nail technology or cosmetology program complies with licensure requirements in their area. Certificate and associate's degree programs can be taken through the professional departments at community colleges, career institutes and technical colleges.
10 Schools with Acrylic Nail Technician Programs
Cosmetology programs are widely available at schools across the country. These are a list of schools, all of which are 2-year public institutions, that offer programs suitable for future acrylic nail technicians:
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Programs Offered*||Undergraduate Tuition (2015-2016)**|
|Harford Community College||Bel Air, MD||2-year, Public||Certificate||$5,429 in-state, $7,517 out-of-state|
|Ashville-Buncombe Technical Community College||Asheville, NC||2-year, Public||0-1 year certificate||$2,419 in-state, $8,563 out-of-state|
|Wallace Community College||Dothan, AL||2-year, Public||1-2 year certificate||$4,260 in-state, $7,710 out-of-state|
|Meridian Community College||Meridian, MS||2-year, Public||1-2 year certificate||$2,430 in-state, $3,730 out-of-state|
|Brunswick Community College||Bolivia, NC||2-year, Public||0-1 year certificate||$2,404 in-state, $8,548 out-of-state|
|Chattanooga State Community College||Chattanooga, TN||0-1 year certificate||2-year, Public||$3,973 in-state, $15,373 out-of-state|
|Edgecombe Community College||Tarboro, NC||2-year, Public||0-1 year certificate||$2,376 in-state, $8,520 out-of-state|
|Dodge City Community College||Dodge City, KS||2-year, Public||0-1 year certificate||$2,850 in-state, $3,150 out-of-state|
|Nash Community College||Rocky Mount, NC||2-year, Public||0-1 year certificate||$2,504 in-state, $8,648 out-of-state|
|Savannah Technical College||Savannah, GA||2-year, Public||0-1 year certificate||$2,654 in-state, $4,790 out-of-state|
Source: *School websites, **National Center for Education Statistics
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Aesthetician and Skin Care
- Barber and Hair Cutting Services
- Beauty Salon Management
- Cosmetology, Hair, and Nail Instructor
- Facial Treatment Specialist
- Hair Design
- Make-Up Artist
- Nail Technician - Manicurist
- Permanent Cosmetics and Tattooing
School Selection Criteria
The following are a list of considerations that students should factor in when applying to acrylic nail technician programs:
- Working professionals may benefit from enrolling in schools that offer online and distance-learning programs, or that provide weekend and evening classes.
- School resources for aspiring acrylic nail technicians should include access to clinical facilities and instruction with current technology and equipment.
- It is recommended that students verify that a school's program is accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting body, such as the National Accrediting Commission of Cosmetology Arts and Sciences.
- Students looking to transfer from a certificate program to an associate program after graduating should ensure their credits are transferable to the program of their choice.
Nail Technician Certificate
Nail technician certificate programs prepare students for entry-level careers as acrylic nail technicians. These programs typically include hands-on clinical work and testing in which technicians must demonstrate the correct procedures for acrylic application, sculpting and removal.
Associate Degree in Cosmetology
An associate degree program in cosmetology offers interdisciplinary education to expand a student's knowledge in hair, skin and nail treatments. Students learn hair cutting, styling and coloring techniques, as well as skin care and how to perform facials.
Over the course of a cosmetology or nail technician program, students will learn about different techniques and safety standards for a variety of products, including how to properly apply and care for acrylic nails. Graduates of these programs will need to ensure that they meet all relevant state licensure requirements before working as acrylic nail technicians.