There is only one for-profit and one public school in Indianapolis that provides programs with administrative assistant courses. Based on distinctions, school type and number of degrees and certificates awarded in the field of study, the following college is considered a top school in Indianapolis for administrative assistant courses:
- Winner: Ivy Tech Community College is the only public institution and the largest school in terms of student enrollment to offer administrative assistant studies in Indianapolis. No other college in the area awards as many certificates and degrees in this field. Students can choose from one certificate or two associate's degree programs.
School Info Chart
|Category||Ivy Tech Community College|
|Distinctions||Largest accredited state community college system in the U.S. and largest public higher education institution in Indiana*|
|School Type||2-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||Undergrad: $3,605 (in state); $7,632 (out-of-state)**|
|Administrative Assistant Programs Offered||Certificate and associate's degree|
|Administrative Assistant Certificates and Degrees Awarded in 2012-2013||493**|
|Most Popular Administrative Assistant Award in 2012-2013||Certificate (280 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2010 Entering Class||9%**|
|Noteworthy||Office administration programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs*|
Sources: *Ivy Tech Community College; **NCES College Navigator
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Administrative Assistant or Secretary
- Clerical and General Office
- Customer Service and Call Center Support
- Executive Assistant or Secretary
- Office Technology and Data Entry
- Warehousing and Inventory Management
Ivy Tech Community College
- Online format offered in the Associate of Applied Science program
- Specialty areas in legal administration, medical administration and customer service available at the associate's degree level
- Office administration students can earn certifications in various Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
Ivy Tech Community College is a 2-year public school. Its main campus is located in Indianapolis, IN, and is referred to as the college's Central Indiana campus. With a student population of about 200,000 students across all campuses, the college offers certificate and associate's degree programs. The School of Business offers an Office Administration Technical Certificate, Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Office Administration and an Associate of Science (A.S.) in Office Administration through its Office Administration Department.
Students in the Office Administration Technical Certificate program complete a minimum of 31 credit hours of study in general education and office administration-specific classes. Required classes include document processing, computer use, spreadsheets and general office procedures. Elective classes cover topics such as customer service, graphics creation and desktop publishing.
The AAS in Office Administration program consists of 60 credit-hours of general education and office administration classes. Core classes cover financial accounting, introduction to business, database applications and business communications. Electives are available in topics such as business law, medical terminology, desktop publishing and legal transcription. Students also complete a capstone course.
The curriculum of the A.S. in Office Administration program is designed to transfer to bachelor's degree leadership and supervision programs at 4-year schools in the state. Students complete required courses in organizational behavior and leadership, macro or microeconomics, business law, spreadsheet use, human resource management and customer service. The curriculum also includes a capstone course.