School and Ranking Information
Only five schools within 25 miles of Braintree offer programs in animation. Based on program diversity and U.S. News & World Report rankings, the top schools for computer animation near Braintree, MA, are as follows:
- Winner: Northeastern University (NEU) has been ranked among national universities and offers high-end Mac labs.
- Runner-Up #1: Emerson College offers certificates, bachelor's degrees, and master's degrees in computer animation, and it ranks among regional universities.
- Runner-Up #2: Lesley University is also ranked among regional universities and offers certificates and bachelor's programs.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Northeastern University||Emerson College||Lesley University|
|Rankings (2014)||3rd among up-and-coming schools nationally,
49th among national universities *
|11th among regional universities (North)*||101st among regional universities (North)*|
|Location||Boston, MA (10.4 miles from Braintree)||Boston, MA (10.3 miles from Braintree)||Cambridge, MA (13.5 miles from Braintree)|
|School Type||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)||$40,086 (undergraduate); $29,680 (graduate)**||$34,198 (undergraduate); $25,376 (graduate)**||$31,575 (undergraduate); $15,885 (graduate)**|
|Computer Animation Award Levels Offered||Bachelor's and master's degrees; post-graduate certificates||Certificates; bachelor's and master's degrees||Bachelor's degree; post-graduate certificate|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2006 Entering Class||79%**||82%**||46%**|
|Noteworthy||School has a visual resource center with more than 40,000 digital images||A member of the Professional Arts Consortium (ProArts), an art-focused association made up of six schools near Boston||School hosts three student galleries and one professional gallery|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Animation, Video Graphics, and Special Effects
- Computer Typography and Composition
- Graphic and Printing Equipment Operations
- Prepress, Publishing, and Image Design
- Printing Management
- Printing Press Operation
Winner: Northeastern University
- Award-winning faculty and guest speakers
- Cooperative education opportunities
- Art and design department provides faculty mentors
At NEU's College of Arts, Media, and Design, undergraduate students can choose between a Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in Digital Art with a focus in animation, a BFA in Digital Art and Game Design, or a combined major with a Bachelor of Science (BS) in Computer Science and Digital Art. The digital art BFA is a concentrated, studio-centered program that teaches design, drawing, and 2D and 3D digital animation. The BS program includes these topics and adds extensive coursework in computer science. The digital art and game design BFA program delves into programming and game design.
At the graduate level, NEU administers a Master of Professional Studies in Digital Media program and a graduate certificate in 3D animation. The master's program offers a concentration in 3D animation and includes classes in animation basic, 3D modeling, and character animation. In addition to coursework, students complete a thesis.
Runner-Up #1: Emerson College
- Two alumni wrote the screenplay for the hit movie Megamind
- Faculty includes an award-winning animator
- School invests regularly in updating industry-standard digital production labs
- School hosts an Engagement Game Lab, which studies and develops new media, technology, and games for the purposes of civic enhancement
Emerson College's Department of Visual & Media Arts offers a specialization in animation as part of either a BFA or Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Media Production. The BA program approaches media production in a comprehensive way, while the BFA program is a more focused program that includes faculty mentoring and opportunities for collaboration. Both programs feature classes in computer modeling, frame-by-frame film animation, and digital 2D and 3D animation.
Emerson also offers a Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Media Art program with computer animation as an area of study. The 64-credit MFA program covers media theory, business, and technologies, along with high-level training and mentoring tailored to each student's focus. A certificate in digital media production, which includes digital animation classes, is also available.
Runner-Up #2: Lesley University
- Art facilities include dedicated animation studio and cutting-edge computer lab
- Award-winning faculty
- Alumni have found work with companies such as HBO, Nickelodeon, and Rock Star
The Art Institute of Boston (AIB) at Lesley University offers a BFA in Animation and Motion Media, and a 2-year advanced animation certificate. The BFA program curriculum explores 2D and 3D animation techniques, including drawing and digital images. Animation students can concentrate on conventional story-based animation, moving image art, or interactive media. Faculty members assist students in career planning, as well as coursework.
The certificate program is intended for students who have already graduated from a bachelor's program and seek a career in animation. Curriculum for the certificate includes computer animation, history of animation, concept creation, and animation basics. Students also have the option to complete an optional internship.