School and Ranking Information
Most of the schools in Indianapolis that offer programs in accounting, which typically contain courses in auditing, are private nonprofit or for-profit institutions. Based on ranking, school type and student population, the following university is considered the top school in Indianapolis for auditing courses:
- Winner: Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis is the only public postsecondary institution and the largest in terms of student enrollment in Indianapolis that awards degrees in accounting, which include studies in auditing. Students can select an accounting concentration in the Bachelor of Science in Business or Master of Business Administration programs or they can seek a Master of Science in Accounting.
School Info Chart
|Category||Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis|
|Ranking||#194 among Best National Universities (2015); #7 Up-and-Coming Schools (2014)*|
|School Type||4-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||Undergrad: $8,756 (in-state); $29,571 (out-of-state)**|
|Business and Accounting Degrees Offered||Bachelor's and master's|
|Business and Accounting Degrees and Certificates Awarded (all levels) in 2013||692**|
|Most Popular Business and Accounting Degree Level in 2013||Bachelor's (477 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2007 Entering Class||42%**|
|Noteworthy||The undergraduate accounting program at the Kelly School of Business, which is split between IUPUI and Indiana University - Bloomington, was ranked #8 in 2015*; a student accounting association available; internship and study abroad opportunities are available to business students, including those studying accounting.|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report; **NCES College Navigator
Find schools that offer these popular programs
Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis
- Fast-track, 6-week CPA study review program available to graduates of master's degree program
- MS in Accounting prepares students for careers in auditing and risk management
- Career services to school of business students include counseling, interview coaching and resume review
- Graduates of the master's degree program are eligible to sit for the Indiana Certified Public Accountant (CPA) examination
Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) is a 4-year public university that offers degrees from both Indiana University and Purdue University and enrolls more than 30,000 individuals annually. IUPUI includes 21 academic schools and offers more than 250 undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Indiana University's Kelley School of Business offers nationally ranked accounting programs on both its IUPUI and Bloomington campuses.
The Bachelor of Science in Business with an accounting major incorporates a core business and general education curriculum with courses in accounting. Accounting coursework covers accounting theories, federal income and corporate taxation, accounting computer systems and financial statement presentation. A review of accounting procedures, including auditing, is also included.
The Master of Science in Accounting program typically takes students 18 to 24 months to complete, depending if students are enrolled full-time or part-time or take summer sessions. The program offers a flexible curriculum to better serve students with a minimal accounting background as well as those who have significant experience in the industry. Students can pursue a course of study in general accounting or specialize in an area, such as taxation, consulting, management advising or auditing. A 51-credit Master of Business Administration with an accounting concentration is also offered.