School and Ranking Information
There are five schools in the Sacramento area offering auto mechanic training. Based on programs, student opportunities, and tuition, the following school is one of the best in the area for auto mechanic training:
- Winner: American River College (ARC) in Sacramento, CA is a 2-year public college in the Los Rios Community College District. The college's automotive technology curriculum is accredited by the National Automotive Technology Foundation (NATEF). The school is part of the Professional Automotive Training Center partnership to allow students to work with automotive dealerships and schools for hands-on experience.
School Info Chart
|Category||American River College|
|School Type||2-year, public*|
|Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2013-14)||$1,104 (in-state), $7,200 (out-of-state)*|
|Auto Mechanic Degrees Offered||Associate's, Certificates**|
|Auto Mechanic Degrees Awarded (all levels) in (2012-13)||100*|
|Most Popular Auto Mechanic Degree Level in 2012-13||Certificate*|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2007 Entering Class||27%*|
|Noteworthy||Extensive industry partners and job placement program**|
Sources: *NCES College Navigator, **American River College
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Aircraft Powerplant Tech
- Airframe Mechanics and Aircraft Maintenance
- Alternative Fuel Vehicle Technologies
- Autobody Repair
- Automotive Mechanics
- Avionics Repair and Maintenance
- Diesel Mechanics
- Engine Machinist
- Heavy Vehicle and Truck Tech
- Marine Watercraft Repair and Maintenance
- Motorcycle Repair and Maintenance
- Small Engine Mechanics
- Vehicle Emissions Inspection
American River College
- The college offers students scheduling flexibility and small class sizes.
- Programs prepare students for ASE (Automotive Service Excellence) certification.
- The school also offers a smog technician training program.
American River College has more than 35,000 students who attend on a part- or full-time basis. The college is part of the Los Rios Community College District, which includes four colleges and six regional education centers. Its Technical Education programs include numerous automotive technology offerings.
The Associate of Science in Automotive Analysis prepares students for entry-level positions as technicians working on smog and driveability issues. The Automotive Component Service Technician Associate of Science Degree program differs from the A.S. in Automotive Analysis in that students are required to complete fewer automotive-related courses, just 40 credits' worth, and to make up the balance with general education credits. Finally, the Associate of Science in Automotive Technology program prepares the student for an entry-level position in the automotive industry with emphasis on engine management systems, emission controls, and complete automotive systems diagnosis and repair.
The school also offers 15 certificate programs in automotive, auto collision and diesel mechanic technologies. These include 1-year versions of the automotive analysis, automotive component service technician and automotive technology programs described above. Additionally, certificate programs focused on a specific area of auto mechanics - like undercar, air conditioning or transmission service - are available. The offerings even include an environmentally focused certificate program in green vehicle technology and alternative fuels.