Hotel and restaurant management programs can be found at many distinguished schools in the country, including Cornell University, Florida International University and Michigan State University. Programs are available at the undergraduate and graduate degree levels.
Hotel and restaurant management programs focus on the business aspects of the hospitality field, covering topics ranging from finance and marketing to culinary theory and hotel operations. These programs are offered at a variety of 2-year and 4-year schools, and three of the best in the nation are Cornell University, Michigan State University (MSU) and Florida International University. Cornell is a top-rated, Ivy League school, while MSU offers three different graduate programs related to hotel and restaurant management. Florida International University offers online bachelor's and master's programs in hospitality management.
Cornell University in Ithaca, New York
|School Highlight: Cornell ranked #14 on U.S. News & World Report's 2017 list of best business schools.|
Cornell University was the first university in the U.S. to offer a hotel management program. Its School of Hotel Administration has a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Hotel Administration program that offers concentrations in finance and accounting, hospitality operations, marketing and organizational management, as well as hands-on experience at the on-campus Statler Hotel. The Master of Science (M.S.) in Hotel Administration and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Hotel Administration programs are geared toward those who plan to teach or do research.
Michigan State University in East Lansing
|School Highlight: MSU's hospitality school hosts the Club Managers Association of America and an Executive Development Program.|
MSU was ranked tied for 82nd among national universities by U.S. News & World Report in 2016. The School of Hospitality Business at Michigan State University (MSU) resides within MSU's Broad College of Business, which was ranked tied for 35th among business schools in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
The degree programs offered in hotel and restaurant management at MSU include the Bachelor of Arts in Hospitality Business, M.S. in Hospitality Business Management, M.S. in Foodservice Business Management and Master of Business Administration (MBA) with a concentration in hospitality business.
Florida International University in Miami, FL
|School Highlight: FIU offers fully-online programs in hospitality management for working professionals.|
FIU offers a bachelor's and a master's degree in hospitality management. The bachelor's program can be completed online or on-campus. The master's degree program can be fulfilled on-campus or fully online. The online program takes 12 months to complete. Students who have at least five years of professional experience may complete the executive master's degree program, which takes ten months to complete and is only available online.
Top Hotel and Restaurant Management Program
These are some more distinguished schools with hotel and restaurant management programs:
- New York University, in New York, NY, ranked #20 on U.S. News & World Report's 2017 list of best schools offering graduate programs in business.
- Ohio State University in Columbus, OH, hosts the Big Dish and other events.
- At Pennsylvania State University in University Park, PA, more than 100 companies visit to recruit students from the School of Hospitality Management each year.
- Purdue University, located in West Lafayette, IN, placed tied for #20 on U.S. News & World Report's ranking of top public schools in 2016.
- Located in Philadelphia, PA, Temple University's School of Tourism and Hospitality Management received the Best Event Management Certificate Program Award from the International Festivals & Events Association.
- Located in Orlando, FL, the University of Central Florida's 159,000-square-foot, resort-style College of Hospitality Management is the largest facility for hospitality management in the country.
- The University of Houston in Houston, TX, is one of three Conrad N. Hilton Colleges.
The top schools in the country for hotel and restaurant management programs offer students different options and opportunities, such as online programs, concentrations and hands-on experience.