There are several highly ranked public and private universities that provide online undergraduate and/or graduate programs in accounting.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Accounting with Computers, General
- Financial Accounting
- Managerial Accounting
- Taxation, General
Three of the best online accounting programs can be found at the University of Northwestern Ohio, Syracuse University, and the University of Maryland - University College (UMUC). Two of the schools have earned national rankings from U.S. News & World Report or Forbes, while the other offers specialization options in several different types of accounting.
University of Maryland - University College in Adelphi, MD
|School highlight: Employers are periodic guest speakers at UMUC, often recruiting accounting students.|
Students enrolled at the University of Maryland - University College can earn a Bachelor of Science in Accounting through distance learning. The degree program requires completion of at least 120 credits. It provides students instruction in internal and external auditing, financial analysis and budgeting. In 2016, Forbes ranked UMUC #3 on its list of the best colleges for adults returning to school, in part because of its popular online accounting program.
University of Northwestern Ohio in Lima, OH
|School highlight: An associate's degree program in accounting is offered, and three bachelor's degree programs are offered: forensic accounting, general accounting and Certified Public Accountant (CPA)-track accounting.|
UNOH's forensic accounting program prepares students to become certified fraud examiners. The CPA-track bachelor's degree program is a five-year program that prepares students to sit for the CPA exam. The associate's degree in accounting program is a 108 credit-hour program.
Syracuse University in Syracuse, NY
|School Highlight: U.S. News & World Report ranked both the Master of Business Administration (MBA) and non-MBA online business programs at Syracuse within the top 100 in the country.|
Syracuse University offers an online Master of Science in Professional Accounting. Depending on the student's previous educational background and scheduling choice, the program takes between 12 and 24 months to complete. Students with undergraduate education in accounting must complete 30 credits for graduation, while those who majored in a different subject need to finish 33 or more credits. For 2017, U.S. News & World Report ranked Syracuse tied at #70 on the list of the best online non-MBA business programs.
Top Online Accounting Schools
Here are some more top schools that offer online education in accounting:
- Linfield College in McMinnville, OR, has Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science programs in accounting. A certificate program for accounting is also offered.
- The University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill's Kenan-Flagler School of Business offers an online Master of Accountancy program. The school was tied at #22 on the U.S. News & World Report list of the best non-MBA graduate programs for 2017.
- Colorado State University, which is based in Fort Collins, CO, offers a Master of Professional Accounting degree for individuals who want to become CPAs.
- Through the University of Miami in Miami, FL, graduate students can earn a professional master's degree, MBA or graduate certificate in accounting.
- The University of Connecticut, which offers an online Master of Science in Accounting program and a graduate certificate in the field, was tied at #4 on the 2017 U.S. News & World Report list of the best online non-MBA business programs. The school is based in Storrs, CT.
Students interested in an online accounting program can find well-respected programs that provide undergraduate and/or graduate degrees in the field. Some schools offer different tracks, such as tracks for CPAs or forensic accountants.