Below, explore a few highly ranked schools that offer online economics programs. These programs are available at the bachelor's and master's degree levels.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
Students of economics study how society collectively turns resources into goods and services. They may learn how to analyze historical data, build financial models and forecast economic trends. Utah State University, Purdue University and the University of North Dakota are three of the best places to pursue an online degree in economics, based on rankings and recognition from major publications and institutes, like U.S. News and World Report and the Chartered Financial Analyst Institute. Utah State University has an online bachelor of economics degree, and the University of North Dakota and Purdue University offer an online master's degree in economics. Continue reading to learn more.
Utah State University in Logan, UT
|School Highlight: As a school recognized by the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) institute, students of the Jon M. Huntsman School of Business at Utah State University have access to noteworthy scholarships not otherwise available.|
The Economic and Finance Department of the Jon M. Huntsman School of Business offers an online Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in economics in which students have the option to dual major in finance and/or accounting. While relatively new, created in 2007, the Economic and Finance Department of USU had grown to be a strong program that has been active in the economic and financial community: being part of a school recognized by the CFA institute, a member of the Quantitative Society for Pensions and Saving (QSPS) and published in a number of economic and financial journals.
University of North Dakota in Grand Forks, ND
|School Highlight: The Graduate Business Program at UND was ranked 30 by U.S. News & World Report in 2017.|
The college offers a distance-learning Master of Science in Applied Economics (MSAE) program, which may be obtained without any on-campus requirements. Students take online courses and participate in interactive web seminars led by professors and online student discussion sessions. As a student you will have the option to complete a thesis or not. The thesis option requires a minimum of 31 credit hours, while the non-thesis option requires a minimum of 32 credit hours.
Purdue University in West Lafayette, IN
|School Highlight: The Economics MS Degree program was ranked 39th by The Financial Engineer Times and 16th out of North American programs by Eduniversal for 2017.|
Purdue's Economics MS program is a 30-credit-hour program that takes two years to complete. The program, which is available fully online, allow students to have a concentration in applied economics/business or in advanced economic theory. A hybrid program is also available.
Top Online Economics Programs
These top-rated schools also offer online economics programs:
- Located in Washington, DC, Johns Hopkins University offers a 10-course MS in applied economics program that can be completed online or in the nation's capital, with focuses on a number of economic areas, including public policy, international economics and more.
- At the University of Detroit - Mercy in Detroit, MI, you can earn your MA in Economics online without having to worry about GRE or GMAT scores and at half the cost of earning your degree on campus.
- Located in Statesboro, GA, Georgia Southern University's SAE program is offered online and focuses on financial economics, economic development and market analysis.
- Pennsylvania State University in University Park, PA, offers an online B.S degree that is focused on mathematics, statistics and programming. The program is meant to prepare students for both entry level jobs and jobs such as financial examiners, statisticians and market research analysts.
- Oregon State University in Corvallis, OR offers more than 1,000 online courses in around 90 subjects. Students earning bachelor's degrees in economics online may also choose to minor in a variety of other fields.
- Southern New Hampshire University in Manchester, NH, offers an affordable, online B.S. degree in finance economics to prepare individuals to be competitive in the multidimensional world of business and global economics.
Many top-rated schools allow students to complete online economics programs with a variety of concentrations. Students may consider a program's degree levels, curriculum and rankings when choosing a school.