Online programs in human resource management typically confer master's degrees, although there are a few schools that offer undergraduate-level programs as well. Find out more about some of the schools that offer these programs.
The three schools profiled below -- Pennsylvania State University (Penn State), the University of Connecticut (UConn), and Northeastern University -- are some of the best institutions in the nation, according to U.S. News & World Report and Kiplinger's Personal Finance rankings for 2016 and 2017.
Pennsylvania State University in State College, PA
|School Highlight: Penn State's online master's program in HRER works in partnership with the university's distinguished School of Labor and Employment Relations.|
U.S. News & World Report ranked Penn State 50th among national universities in 2017. The school offers an online program leading to a Master of Professional Studies (MPS) in Human Resources and Employment Relations. The average student completes this online program in 2.5 years; however, students are granted eight years to achieve this goal. The program consists of 33 credits and offers four concentrations in the areas of benefits and compensation, labor and collective bargaining, employment and labor law, and training and development.
University of Connecticut in Storrs, CT
|School Highlight: UConn's MSHRM program explores organizational risk, talent analytics, HR metrics, compensation and total rewards, and much more.|
UConn was ranked 27th among the 100 public colleges identified as offering the best value for 2016 by Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazine. UConn's School of Business offers an online/on-campus hybrid program designed to help students earn their MS in Human Resource Management (HRM). It allows students to complete one course each session over a 22-month period by taking seven-week accelerated sessions. The program requires 30 credits of coursework plus a 3-credit capstone project.
Northeastern University in Boston, MA
|School Highlight: The school offers an online Graduate Certificate in Human Resources Management that can be completed in 1.5 years or less.|
Northeastern University was ranked #39 among all national universities by U.S. News & World Report for 2017. The school's Graduate Certificate in Human Resources Management includes coursework in recruitment, training and performance management, employee rights and obligations, and strategic organization, among other topics. Because all course materials are delivered online, this program provides flexibility for working professionals and other students with scheduling constraints.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Human Resources Development
- Labor and Industrial Relations
- Labor Studies
- Organizational Behavior
Top Online HRM Certificate and Degree Programs
Here, you can find information about other schools that offer online certificate or degree programs in human resource management:
- Stony Brook University in Stony Brook, NY, offers an M.S. program and an Advanced Graduate Certificate program in human resource management.
- The University of California at Irvine's extension campus offers general online and accelerated virtual format online human resources management courses that can lead to a certificate.
- The University of Denver in Denver, CO, offers master's degree and graduate certificate options in strategic human resource management with opportunities to focus on either global human resources or human resource management and development.
- At the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, the College of Education offers a Master's of Education (Ed.M.) degree program within which students can focus on human resource development; certificate and joint Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) options are also available.
- The University of Virginia's Certificate in Leadership in Human Resources Management is suited for professionals with a bachelor's degree; the program consists of 5 courses and is available through the school's Charlottesville campus.
- At the University of Wisconsin - Stout in Menomonie, WI, there is a certificate offered in human resource management; this program is intended to get students ready for the Professional Human Resource (PHR) exam.
- At Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, NC, the M.S. program in human resources meets the curriculum recommendations of the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM).
- Western Governors University in Salt Lake City, UT, offers a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) program in Business - Human Resource Management for students with some prior college hours or experience in the field.
- At Wilmington University in New Castle, DE, Cooperative (co-op) learning experiences are available for students in the B.S. program in human resource management.
Overall, degrees and certificates in human resource management are available offered in an online format through some of the nation's best colleges and universities.