School and Ranking Information
Students wishing to study interior design in Chicago have several school options to choose from within a city known for its art museums, design galleries, and architecture. Boasting a faculty that has professional and current experience, an interior design program that focuses on rigorous academics, and one of the lowest tuition rates for a college of its type, the following school is considered one of the top schools for interior design in the city:
- Winner: Columbia College - Chicago is the largest not-for-profit art and design school in the country, offering over 100 arts-related programs, including a bachelor's program in interior architecture for students interested in a career in interior design. Columbia places a strong emphasis on career preparation and gives its students a wide variety of opportunities to work within the arts.
School Info Chart
|Category||Columbia College - Chicago|
|Rankings||#53 among Fine Arts Graduate Schools*|
|School Type||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||Undergraduate: $22,792**|
|Interior Design Degree Offered||Bachelor's|
|Interior Design Degrees Awarded in 2012-2013||21**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2007 Entering Class||41%**|
|Noteworthy||A+D design gallery for project exhibition; State-of-the-art design equipment and computer labs|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Advertising and Commercial Design
- Commercial Photography
- Fashion Design
- General Visual Communications Design
- Graphic Design
- Illustration and Drawing
- Industrial Design
- Interior Design and Decorating
Columbia College - Chicago
- BFA in Interior Architecture is accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA)
- School has relationships with businesses throughout Chicago for internships
- Students have opportunities for professional portfolio development
Columbia College - Chicago was established in 1890 and is primarily located in Chicago's South Loop, within blocks of the Art Institute of Chicago. Columbia offers a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Interior Architecture for aspiring interior designers through the Art & Design Department within its School of Fine and Performing Arts. The program focuses largely on commercial design, covering the principles of design and professional practice.
The curriculum for this degree includes classes in visual culture, AutoCAD, architectural history, lighting, and schematic design. Senior projects and an internship are required for graduation, and students graduate with a professional portfolio. This degree program also prepares students to take the National Council for Interior Design Qualification exam once they've gained professional experience. The department's BFA in Interior Architecture is accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation.