School and Ranking Information
The Kansas City area has many schools that offer business administration degrees. The following schools are considered the top three according to rankings, number of awarded degrees and program level variety:
- Winner: Rockhurst University in Kansas City is in first place due to the degree level options in the field of study and for being regionally ranked by U.S. News & World Report in 2013.
- Runner Up #1: Park University, found in Parkville, follows on account of the number of awarded degrees in business administration and its individual credit fees.
- Runner Up #2: William Jewell College in Liberty is the second runner up resulting from being ranked at the national level in 2013 from U.S. News & World Report and for the school's study abroad opportunities available to business students.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Rockhurst University||Park University||William Jewell College|
|Ranking(s) (2013)||University is ranked 21st in the Midwest region for 2013**||University is ranked 107th in the Midwest region for 2013**||University is ranked 140th among national liberal arts colleges for 2013**|
|Location||Kansas City, MO||Parkville, MO (11.1 miles from Kansas City)||Liberty, MO (13.5 miles from Kansas City)|
|School Type||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition (2013-2014)||$15,275 per semester (undergraduate), $605 per credit hour (business students, graduate)***||$350 per credit hour (undergraduate), $375 per credit hour (online, undergraduate), $480 per credit hour (graduate), $480 + $25 per credit hour (online, graduate)***||$30,800***|
|Business Administration Award Levels Offered||Bachelor's and master's degrees||Bachelor's and master's degrees||Bachelor's degrees|
|Business Administration Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in (2011-2012)||199*||668*||36*|
|Most Popular Business Administration Program (2011-2012)||Master's degree (121 awarded)*||Bachelor's degree (552 awarded)*||N/A|
|Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal program time) for 2005 Entering Class||74%*||39%*||63%*|
|Noteworthy||Helzberg School of Management maintains a list of job and internship opportunities for students||Five scholarships available for business administration students||University has a chapter of the Delta Mu Delta International Honor Society in Business|
Sources: *NCES, **U.S. News and World Report, ***Schools' websites.
Winner: Rockhurst University
- Business students have free access to the Wall Street Journal in print and online
- University has an extensive list of scholarships available
Undergraduate students at RU who study business administration can focus on general business, or they can pursue an individualized course of study in which they may create up to five classes based on their interests. The program's core courses provide students with a foundation in subjects like leadership, finance, and marketing. The university's Master of Business Administration (MBA) program requires 30 hours, and students can take classes in the evenings once a week. In addition to the general MBA program, the university offers the executive fellows program for well-established working professionals with management experience. A specialized MBA program is also available to help healthcare professionals manage the industry's business needs.
Runner-Up #1: Park University
- Business students can take face-to-face or online courses
- University's honors academy offers internships, service learning, and independent study opportunities
Earning a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from PU requires between 57 and 69 hours of courses in the major, depending on your concentration. Students can choose from six concentrations, including logistics and human resource management. Undergraduate students who might not want to major in business administration, but who still want to have a business administration background, can take a minor in the subject. For added convenience, business courses are offered at two satellite campuses in Kansas City, as well as on the main Parkville campus.
PU's master's program in business administration requires 33 credit hours. Students can focus on business administration in general, or they can concentrate in management information systems, international business, or finance.
Runner-Up #2: William Jewell College
- Business students can study abroad in locations like France, Spain, and China
- University students can apply for a grant to design their own customized study experience
WJC offers a major and a minor in business administration. Along with business courses, students take courses in accounting and economics. Students can enhance their leadership skills by pursuing a leadership certificate in coordination with their major degree program. WJC also gives students an opportunity for real-world experience through the Students In Free Enterprise (SIFE) team. SIFE students compete to develop successful solutions to business-related community issues.