Online Blood Analysis Courses
Here are some of the more commonly found online courses related to blood analysis.
- Medical Terminology Course: This course introduces basic terminology for use in hospitals, doctors' offices and medical laboratories. Students learn the names of the organs and components of the cardiovascular system and how to identify the different blood cell types. They also learn vocabulary to describe blood's physical characteristics, chemical properties and the nature of Rh antibody-antigen reactions.
- Medical Laboratory Techniques Course: Attendees develop troubleshooting skills, perform routine maintenance and learn professional terminology for medical facility and laboratory equipment. They review and utilize safety procedures to prevent contaminating samples, reporting the wrong results and compromising the safety of the laboratory and its personnel. They also examine federal, state and local operating regulations.
- Transfusion and Blood Bank Operating Principles Course: The syllabus covers the practical techniques for drawing and testing blood in order to separate it into various components and store it for later use in transfusions. The material teaches students how to group, screen, type and test blood.
- Applied Forensic Serology Course: The curriculum teaches methods to collect, test and preserve blood as evidence in legal proceedings. It lists what tests are needed to identify blood-borne pathogens, poisons and foreign contaminants. In addition, it delineates procedures to maintain chain of evidence and report findings under oath.
- Blood Distribution and Spatter: This course will educate students on the principles of blood spatter and blood stain interpretation as it relates to violent crime scenes. It also instructs prospective blood analysts on the appropriate procedures for collecting, analyzing and recording biological evidence.
- Hematology Course: In this course, aspiring blood analysts learn about the characteristics of blood samples of patients with a wide range of blood-related diseases and disorders. These include anemias, leukemias, myeloproliferative disorders, myelodysplastic syndromes, lymphomas, plasma cell diseases and blood infections.
- Immunohematology Course: This course covers the practices and instrumentation used within the field immunohematology. The curriculum focuses on strategies for solving problems that lab workers may encounter when preparing and administering blood components.
Online coursework in blood analysis may be part of online bachelor's degree programs in nursing and clinical laboratory science or graduate programs in health sciences, pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences. Certificate programs in forensic DNA and serology may also feature coursework in this topic. Some online classes and certificate programs are open to anyone but others restrict enrollment to practicing professionals. Given the hands-on nature of the field, an on-site experiential component may be required. Coursework in blood analysis prepares students for work in laboratories, hospitals, legal facilities and veterinary offices as medical researchers, nurses, phlebotomists, forensic technicians and assistants to doctors and veterinarians.
Online courses are available that cover both the legal and scientific aspects of blood analysis. There are also broader biomedical science courses available that can provide future blood analysts with the educational foundation needed for future success.