One of the five boroughs of New York City, Brooklyn rests in and is Kings County. It was established by the Dutch East India Corporation in 1646 and formally became a part of New York City in 1898. According to the New York State Department of Labor (NYSDOL), Kings County had an unemployment rate of 4.2% in April 2018. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), Brooklyn had the most employment growth of all the boroughs from the first quarter of 2016 to the first quarter of 2017 and rose 3.2%. The BLS also reported an average weekly wage of $850 for the second quarter of 2017.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Crain's New York Business reports that the following information, as of 2017, lists some of the largest employers in New York City, which includes Brooklyn. Financial institutions and healthcare facilities are among the city's largest employers.
- City of New York
- New York City Department of Education
- United States Government
- State of New York
- Metropolitan Transit Authority
- Northwell Health
- JP Morgan Chase & Company
- New York-Presbyterian Hospital
- NYU Langone Health
- Macy's, Inc.
The service industry is firmly enthroned near the top of the list for speedy growth. According to the NYSDOL, the following are projected to be among the fastest-growing occupations in New York City, and therefore Brooklyn, over the 2014-2024 decade. These professions have been forecasted to experience between 20-60% growth.
- Accommodation, Including Hotels and Motels
- Nonstore Retailers
- Specialty Trade Contractors
- Amusement, Gambling, and Recreation Industries
- Warehousing and Storage
- Ambulatory Health Care Services
- Nursing and Residential Care Facilities
- Food Manufacturing
- Scenic and Sightseeing Transportation