School and Ranking Information
There are only three schools in the Reno area that offer degrees in business. The following schools are considered the top three based on rankings, program levels offered and number of degrees awarded in business:
- Winner: University of Nevada-Reno, a 4-year public school, is the top choice because of its Best Online Graduate Business Program ranking by U.S. News & World Report and its business internships available. Bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees in business are available.
- Runner Up #1: Sierra Nevada College is the first runner up because it offers students a small student-to-faculty ratio and it has a top rated online graduate program, according to U.S. News & World Report. Students can pursue bachelor's degrees in business at this school.
- Runner Up #2: The third best ranked school for business is Truckee Meadows Community College because it offers transferable business degree credits and several business disciplines. An associate's degree in business is offered.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of Nevada-Reno||Sierra Nevada College||Truckee Meadows Community College|
|Rankings|| #240 among National Universities (tie),
#117 in Top Public Schools (tie)**
|#87-#113 among Regional Universities in the West**||None|
|Location||Reno, NV||Incline Village, NV (20.2 miles from downtown Reno)||Reno, NV|
|School Type||4-year; public||4-year; private not-for-profit||2-year; public|
|Tuition & Fees (2019-20)||$8,034 (in-state, undergraduate); $23,086 (out-of-state, undergraduate); $5,931 (in-state, graduate); $20,982 (out-of-state, graduate) ***||$35,508 (undergraduate)***||$2,766 (in-state); $9,956 (out-of-state)***|
|Business Degree Program Levels Offered||Bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees||Bachelor's degrees||Associate's degrees|
|Business Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in 2018-19||755***||34***||202***|
|Most Popular Business Program (2018-19)||Bachelor of Science in Marketing (181 degrees awarded)**||Bachelor of Science in International Business (12 degrees awarded) ***||Associate of Applied Science in General Business/Commerce (112 degrees awarded)|
|2013 Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time)||61%***||45%***||31%***|
|Noteworthy||Partners with 10 major Nevada companies to provide internships and jobs to business majors||Small 14-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio||Associate's degree offers several business disciplines|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report, **Bloomberg BusinessWeek, ***NCES College Navigator
Winner: University of Nevada-Reno
- Several undergraduate and graduate degree programs available
- Exchange agreement with several universities overseas enhances international experience for business students and faculty
- Gaming industry remains a major focus in business
The university's College of Business offers several undergraduate and graduate degree programs, including a Bachelor of Science in General Business, its most popular major in 2011. Students may concentrate in accounting, finance, gaming management, economics and entrepreneurship. Students pursuing a graduate degree may want to consider the college's part-time Master of Business Administration (MBA) program, which was ranked 4th in the country by Bloomberg BusinessWeek in 2011. The MBA program offers concentrations in finance, entrepreneurship, accounting renewable energy and information technology. Students have access to various research and information centers.
Runner-Up #1: Sierra Nevada College
- 64% of graduates in 2011 were in business degree programs
- Faculty offer middle/senior-level experience with strong academic backgrounds
- Internships available at local businesses
Sierra Nevada College, located 20 miles from Reno at Lake Tahoe, offers a bachelor's degree in business administration through its Department of Business. This degree program offers majors in global management, entrepreneurship, accounting, marketing, economics/finance and ski business/resort management. These majors combine comprehensive instruction and real-world training with a strong liberal arts foundation that emphasizes critical thinking, creativity and communication. They prepare graduates for management and professional positions at both large and small companies.
Runner-Up #2: Truckee Meadows Community College
- Business degree credits transferable to UNR
- Several business disciplines available
- 23-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio
Truckee Meadow Community College's Business and Entrepreneurship Department offers degree and certificate programs that prepare students to compete in today's business marketplace. Students gain practical, up-to-date training in business fundamentals and may choose concentrations that include economics, business, accounting, logistics management, marketing real estate and entrepreneurship. Individuals interested in a business degree should seek one of the business studies activities clubs to meet others with similar interests.