School and Ranking Information
There are a lot of public and private, not-for-profit schools in the Santa Ana area that offer degrees in business management. The following schools are considered the top three based on rankings, program levels offered and number of degrees awarded in business management:
- Winner: The University of California-Irvine, a 4-year public school, is the top choice for programs in business management because it offers numerous organizations for business students, and it received the highest ranking for Best Business Schools by U.S. News & World Report of the three schools.
- Runner Up #1: Chapman University located in Orange, California, secured the first runner up spot due to its top regional ranking by U.S. News & World Report, and because of its popular business programs.
- Runner Up #2: Vanguard University in Costa Mesa, California, came in third because of its regional west ranking by U.S. News & World Report and the study abroad programs available to students.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of California - Irvine||Chapman University||Vanguard University|
|Ranking(s) (2013)||44th for National Universities,
49th for Best Business Schools*
|6th for Regional Universities (West)*||10th for Regional Colleges (West)*|
|Location||Irvine, CA (8 miles from Santa Ana)||Orange, CA (4 miles from Santa Ana)||Costa Mesa, CA (9 miles from Santa Ana)|
|School Type||4-year public||4-year private, not-for-profit||4-year private, not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)|| $13,122 (undergraduate, in-state),
$36,000 (undergraduate, out-of-state)**
|$42,084 (undergraduate)**||$28,500 (undergraduate)**|
|Business Degree Levels Offered||Bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees||Bachelor's and master's degrees||Bachelor's degrees|
|Business Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||931**||386**||92**|
|Most Popular Business Program in 2011-2012||Bachelor's in Business/Managerial Economics (515 awarded)**||Bachelor's in Business Administration and Management, General (192 awarded)**||Bachelor's in Business Administration and Management, General (71 awarded)**|
|Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2005 Entering Class||85%**||72%**||55%**|
|Noteworthy||Offers clubs and organizations for business students||The Office of Career Planning and Placement advises students and helps with resumes and interviews||Offers study abroad programs|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator
Winner: University of California
- Part-time MBA program ranked #31 by U.S. News & World Report in 2013
- 94% retention rate for students who began in Fall 2010, according to NCES
UCI offers business administration bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree programs with an emphasis in management. Students in the bachelor's and master's degree programs must complete core business courses as well as choose from a variety of electives. Students in the master's degree program have the option to pursue a dual or joint degree, and they must complete a global management class or study abroad. The Doctor of Philosophy in Management program prepares students for a teaching and research position.
Runner-Up #1: Chapman University
- Offers five-year accelerated MBA program
- Business programs were the university's most popular in 2011-2012
Chapman University offers a business administration bachelor's degree program with an emphasis on management. Students in the bachelor's degree program who want to emphasize in management must complete five related elective courses, in addition to core business courses. Students may participate in an internship for college credit, but the credits do not count toward the emphasis requirements. The university also offers several types of Master of Business Administration programs that provide various courses related to business management.
Runner-Up #2: Vanguard University
- 67% admissions rate in 2012, according to NCES
- Internship opportunities are available, which may count as academic credits
Vanguard University offers a bachelor's degree program in business administration with a concentration in organizational management. The program offers general business and management-related courses, as well as study abroad and internship opportunities. The school caps class sizes at twenty students to keep the student-to-faculty ratio small. Vanguard also offers related business majors in international business, marketing, accounting, business administration and marketing.