School and Ranking Information
Business administration studies in and near Richmond, VA, are found in a diverse number of institutions: 2-year colleges, universities, technical schools and for-profit schools. Based on rankings, program offerings and number of degrees awarded, the following institutions are considered the top three schools for business administration studies in Richmond:
- Winner: The University of Richmond emerges as the winner because it has highly ranked business administration programs, awards the highest number of degrees and boasts the highest graduation rate. The university has bachelor's and master's degree programs in business administration.
- Runner Up #1: Virginia Commonwealth University earns the top runner up spot because of its national ranking and high graduation rate. Its business programs are also ranked, though are below that of the University of Richmond. Business administration studies are offered at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Runner Up #2: Since it is not ranked and has the lowest graduation rate, J Sargeant Reynolds Community College is the second runner up. The school does award the second-highest number of business administration degrees and offers its certificate and associate's degree programs at multiple sites.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of Richmond||Virginia Commonwealth University||J Sargeant Reynolds Community College|
|Rankings||58th best undergraduate business program in 2014,
64th best part-time MBA program in 2013,
25th national liberal arts college in 2014,
14th best value school in 2014,
2nd up-and-coming school in 2014*
| 101st best undergraduate business program in 2014,
112th best part-time MBA program in 2013,
167th national university in 2014,
92nd top public school in 2013,
14th up-and-coming school in 2014*
|Location||Richmond, VA||Richmond, VA||Richmond, VA|
|School Type||4-year, Private not-for-profit||4-year, Public||2-year, Public|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)||$44,210 (undergraduate); $37,350 (graduate)**||$9,886 (in-state, undergraduate), $23,913 (out-of-state, undergraduate); $11,521 (in-state, graduate), $21,585 (out-of-state, graduate)**||$4,053 (in-state, undergraduate), $9,816 (out-of-state, undergraduate)**|
|Business Administration Degrees and Certificates Offered||Bachelor's and master's degrees||Master's degrees and post-graduate certificates**||Associate's degrees and certificates**|
|Business Administration Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||217**||130**||152**|
|Most Popular Business Administration Program (2011-2012)||Bachelor's degrees (181 awarded)**||Master's degrees (127 awarded)**||Associate's degrees (130 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time)||83% (2006 entering class)**||56% (2006 entering class)**||9% (2009 entering class)**|
|Noteworthy||Robins School of Business is accredited by the Association for the Advancement of Collegiate Schools of Business International (AACSB)||The School of Business is internationally accredited by the AACSB, and The Princeton Review categorizes it as one of the top 300 business schools in the country as of 2012||The associate's degree is intended for students who plan to transfer to a 4-year school to complete a bachelor's degree in business administration|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **National Center for Education Statistics
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Actuarial Sciences
- Business and Commerce, General
- Business Statistics
- Customer Service Management
- Logistics, Distribution, and Materials Management
- Management Science
- Office Management
- Operations Management
- Public and Nonprofit Organizational Management
- Purchases, Acquisitions, and Contracts Management
- Transportation Management
Winner: University of Richmond
- Robins School of Business has a variety of student organizations, such as the American Marketing Association and Alpha Kappa Psi
- Students in the MBA program have experience at companies such as DuPont, The Federal Reserve Bank, Honeywell and The Martin Agency.
The Robins School of Business at the University of Richmond offers various undergraduate concentrations within its Bachelor of Science in Business Administration program, such as marketing, economics, finance and accounting. After the first year of study, students must choose a major in accounting, economics or business administration.
The Richard S. Reynolds Graduate School of Business offers an MBA program for students to develop into experienced business professionals. The curriculum consists of 45 credit hours over 24 months, including such courses as statistics, international residency and business analytics. A capstone project is required prior to graduation.
Runner-Up #1: Virginia Commonwealth University
- In 2011, the Carnegie Foundation classified Virginia Commonwealth University as a university with very high research activity
- A post-baccalaureate certificate in business administration is available to students who already hold a bachelor's degree, but they aren't required to have prior business experience
Students pursuing the Bachelor of Science in Business Administration and Management program at Virginia Commonwealth University can choose to take classes in an entrepreneurship and small business management, business administration or international management track. Coursework is largely dependent on the track. International management students have the opportunity to study abroad, while the entrepreneurship track prepares students to administer budgets and formulate procedures.
The Master of Business Administration can be completed in a variety of forms, including the executive option for professionals already working in a position of management. Dual degree options are available for individuals who wish to simultaneously earn degrees like a Master of Education, Master of Science in Information Systems or Doctor of Pharmacy. The MBA can be completed on a full- or part-time schedule and allows students to choose from a broad range of concentration options, including real estate, global business, supply chain management, corporate finance and information resources management. Core courses include subjects like management theory, economics, accounting and management.
Runner-Up #2: J Sargeant Reynolds Community College
- J Sargeant Reynolds Community College is the most recent community college addition to Virginia, founded in 1972, and is also the 3rd largest college in the Virginia Community College System
- Students may pursue this degree at 3 of the 4 campuses throughout the region
The Associate of Science in Business Administration requires 61 credit hours, including general education coursework. The program is primarily intended for students who wish to continue their business administration studies at a 4-year college, and students are encouraged to contact the college of their choice to ensure that all credits will transfer. In addition to an introduction to business courses, students will take classes in accounting, economics and calculus.