School and Ranking Information
Many of the schools in the Wichita area offering business programs are private schools. Of the top three schools in the area, only one is a public university. That public school is also one of the few schools in the area with a ranked business program. Based on rankings, program offerings and degrees awarded, the following schools are the top schools in the area for business degrees:
- Winner: Wichita University is the only public university in Wichita. It has a top 150 part-time graduate MBA program. The school offers a bachelor's and a master's degree related to business.
- Runner Up #1: Friends University is a 4-year, private, not-for-profit school. It also offers bachelor's and master's degrees. Students here have added flexibility: they can take some courses online. About half of the 2011-2012 graduates from Friends University earned degrees in a business-related field, and the university has a very low student-to-faculty ratio.
- Runner Up #2: Newman University is also a 4-year, private, not-for-profit school. The school offers associate degrees, bachelor's degrees, and master's degrees in business. Classes are geared for traditional students and adult learners. Despite offering three different programs, the school has graduated the smallest number of business students of these three institutions.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Wichita State University||Friends University||Newman University|
|Rankings||Tied as 146th for part-time MBA (2020)*||N/A||N/A|
|Location||Wichita, KS||Wichita, KS||Wichita, KS|
|School Type||4-year; public||4-year; private not-for-profit||4-year; private not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees (2019-2020)|| $8,298 (in-state, undergraduate); $17,480 (out-of-state, undergraduate);
$6,932 (in-state, graduate); $14,845 (out-of-state, graduate)**
| $29,394 (undergraduate);
|$31,906 (undergraduate); $11,004 (graduate)**|
|Business Degree Program Award Levels Offered||Bachelor's and master's degrees||Bachelor's and master's degrees||Associate's, bachelor's and master's degrees|
|Business Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in 2018-2019||540**||184**||87**|
|Most Popular Business Program 2018-2019||Bachelor's in Business Administration (133 awarded)**||Master's in Business Administration (72 awarded)**||Master's in Business Administration (45 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2013 Entering Class||50% (27% transfer-out rate)**||48%**||52%**|
|Noteworthy||Study abroad programs available for business students||Online undergraduate and graduate business degree programs available||Through a business education initiative, students can study business in Northern Ireland for a semester or a year|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report, ** National Center for Education Statistics.
Winner: Wichita State University
- The Barton School of Business is accredited by Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International
- The on-campus Kansas Small Business Development Center provides business education opportunities for entrepreneurs
The Barton School of Business at Wichita State University, the only 4-year public university in Wichita, offers a Bachelor of Business Administration in General Business along with a Master of Business Administration. MBA specializations include marketing, technology and operations management, finance, general business administration, entrepreneurship, health care administration, economics and accounting. Wichita's business school also offers an Executive MBA program, along with master's degrees in accountancy and economics. The university has various partnerships with local, national and international businesses that allow students to pursue cooperative education programs and internships. Business students may study at partner universities in six countries.
Runner-Up #1: Friends University
- 12-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio, according to NCES
Friends University offers bachelor's and master's degree programs in business. The Bachelor of Business Administration in Business Management is available on campus as well as online. This program combines training in management, decision making, information systems, business law, accounting, marketing, communication and project management. The university's MBA program is offered at the Wichita campus, the Topeka education center and online. There are also master's degree programs in business law and accounting. Students may participate in study abroad opportunities.
Runner-Up #2: Newman University
- 97% of first-time freshman received some form of financial aid in 2018-2019, according to NCES
- Undergraduates must complete a theology course as part of general education requirements
Newman University is a liberal arts, Catholic university that offers associate's, bachelor's and master's degree programs in business. In order to enroll in the Associate of Science in Business Administration or the Bachelor of Science in Business Studies programs, students must have three years of full-time work experience. Additionally, the business studies bachelor's program is a degree-completion program, and students must have 62 credits before enrolling. Newman also offers two Bachelor of Business Administration degrees with majors in general business or management. The university's MBA program offers concentrations in finance, management, international business, leadership and management information systems. MBA courses are offered in the evenings, and the program can be completed in about 18 months.