The majority of schools in or near Torrance, CA, that have CAD design programs are for-profit institutions. Based on school type, student population and total number of awards granted in the field of study, the following college is considered a top choice in the Torrance area for CAD designer studies:
- Winner: Long Beach City College is one of only two public institutions within 25 miles of Torrance and the largest school of any kind in the area to provide programs for those seeking to become a CAD designer. Students can pursue these studies at the certificate or associate's degree level.
School Info Chart
|Category||Long Beach City College|
|Location||Long Beach, California|
|School Type||2-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||Undergrad: $1,182 (in state); $6,702 (out-of-state)**|
|CAD Design Programs Offered||Certificate and associate's degree|
|CAD Design Certificates and Degrees Awarded in 2012-2013||33**|
|Most Popular CAD Design Award in 2012-2013||Certificate (28 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2010 Entering Class||18%**|
|Noteworthy||One of the few CAD design and drafting programs that allows students to develop fundamental skills in this area of study in only two years***|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report; **NCES College Navigator; ***Long Beach City College
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Architectural Drafting and Design
- CAD Drafting and Design Technology
- Civil Engineering Drafting and Design
- Mechanical Drafting and Design
Long Beach City College
- Students learn AutoCAD on high-quality drafting stations in a hands-on application lab
- Three scholarship programs available to CAD design and drafting students
- CAD design studies follow standards set by both the American Standards Institute (ANSI) and the American Institute of Architects (AIA)
Long Beach City College enrolls more than 24,000 students in two campuses near Torrance, CA. The college's Architectural Design and Drafting program offers mechanical and architectural drafting studies resulting in a Certificate of Achievement or Associate in Science. Various certificates addressing CAD design topics are also offered.
The 60-unit Associate in Science in Architectural Drafting program explores the theories and tools of architectural design. The program covers CAD, Solid Modeling and Rapid Prototyping techniques. The 19- or 20-unit core skills certificate program may focus on drafting or AutoCAD design. The advanced certificate is attained upon completion of 32-37 units.
The 60-unit Associate in Science in Mechanical Drafting program introduces students to drafting, industrial drafting and AutoCAD. Topics also include geometric dimension and tolerancing, descriptive geometry and advanced concepts in AutoCAD. The core skills certificate program lasts 18 units. The 29-unit advanced certificate builds on the associate-level coursework and introduces students to 3-D animation and visualization. In addition, students can take 1- to 3-course Certificate of Accomplishment programs in AutoCAD I, II or III as well as 3D modeling. One of these is a CAD Professional Certificate program covering fundamental and advanced concepts in AutoCAD software.