School and Ranking Information
Most of the schools offering CAD drafting studies in or near Flint, MI, are community colleges or technical institutes. Based on ranking, school type and total number of degrees conferred in the field of study, the following university is considered a top school in the Flint area for CAD drafting programs:
- Winner: Eastern Michigan University is the only 4-year public university within 50 miles or so of Flint that provides studies in or relating to CAD drafting. The school also awards the highest number of degrees of any institution in the Flint area in CAD drafting. Students can earn a bachelor's degree in interior design or product development and design or a master's degree in interior design, all of which contain CAD drafting courses.
School Info Chart
Note: figures for degrees offered and awarded reflect those granted in interior design in addition to CAD drafting
|Category||Eastern Michigan University|
|Ranking||#77 (tie) Best Regional Universities in the Midwest (2015)*|
|School Type||4-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||Undergrad: $9,364 (in state); $24,909 (out-of-state)**|
|CAD Drafting Degrees Offered||Bachelor's and master's|
|CAD Drafting Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2012-2013||43**|
|Most Popular CAD Drafting Degree in 2012-2013||Bachelor's (28 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2007 Entering Class||38%**|
|Noteworthy||Interior design programs accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation***|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report; **NCES College Navigator, ***Eastern Michigan University
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Architectural Drafting and Design
- CAD Drafting and Design Technology
- Civil Engineering Drafting and Design
- Mechanical Drafting and Design
Eastern Michigan University
- Internship opportunities available to interior design students
- Studies combine classroom instruction with hands-on studio courses
- Interior design students may work part-time in the field for the last two years of the bachelor's degree program (or the master's degree program for those without a bachelor's degree)
Eastern Michigan University is approximately 55 miles from Flint, MI. The university offers over 200 majors and minors through five schools and an Honors College to more than 23,000 students each year. The College of Technology offers degree programs in science and engineering technology, interior design, military science, design and computer technology.
The 128-credit-hour Bachelor of Science in Interior Design program is designed to promote both research and critical thinking in the design of interior spaces. Students learn about the relationship between humans and interior environments and how to best meet the needs of people with disabilities, mobility issues and age-related conditions. Coursework includes two courses in CAD for interior design. Other topics include work design and detailing, interior design studio, design theory and interior lighting. Students without a bachelor's degree in interior design could pursue this degree or enter a 4-year master's degree program in interior design.
Requiring 125 credit hours, the Bachelor of Science in Product Development and Design program is designed to teach students the skills and knowledge to find work as product designers, process engineers, product development engineers or application engineers. Coursework in the program includes computer-aided design studio, 3-D surface modeling, product data management, product design, 3-D design and prototyping.
The 30-credit-hour 2-year Master of Science in Interior Design program is designed for applicants who hold a bachelor's degree in interior design. The program is designed to teach students to work in different work environments, such as retail, restaurant, office and residential settings. Coursework includes interior computer-aided design, advanced lighting design, American interiors, facility programming and furniture history. Students can choose from electives including independent study, a colloquium and a practicum.