Many programs that teach students cardiac ultrasound principles can be found at community colleges, technical schools and 4-year institutions. Programs may be offered in cardiac technology, cardiac sonography or diagnostic medical sonography.
Schools with Cardiovascular Technology Programs
These schools offer relevant programs in cardiovascular technology:
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered||Tuition (2015-2016)*|
|Arkansas Tech University||Russellville, AR||4-year, Public||Associate's||$6,192 in-state, $11,352 out-of-state|
|Augusta Technical College||Augusta, GA||2-year, Public||Associate's||$2,644 in-state, $4,780 out-of-state|
|Bunker Hill Community College||Boston, MA||2-year, Public||Associate's||$3,576 in-state, $8,520 out-of-state|
|Central Georgia Technical College||Warner Robins, GA||2-year, Public||Associate's||$2,674 in-state, $4,810 out-of-state|
|Central Piedmont Community College||Charlotte, NC||2-year, Public||Associate's||$2,664 in-state, $8,808 out-of-state|
|Chattanooga State Community College||Chattanooga, TN||2-year, Public||Certificate||$3,973 in-state, $15,373 out-of-state|
|City College of San Francisco||San Francisco, CA||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||$1,598 in-state, $7,554 out-of-state|
|Delaware Technical Community College - Stanton/Wilmington||Wilmington, DE||2-year, Public||Associate's**||$3,632 in-state, $8,522 out-of-state|
|Florida SouthWestern State College||Fort Myers, FL||4-year, Public||Associate's||$3,401 in-state, $12,979 out-of-state|
Sources: *National Center for Education Statistics, **School website
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Athletic Trainer
- Cardiovascular Technologies
- Electrocardiograph Tech. - ECG, EKG
- Electroencephalographic Tech. - EEG, END
- EMT and Paramedic
- Genetic Therapy
- Industrial Radiologic Technology
- Medical Radiologic Therapist
- Nuclear Medical Technologist
- Physician Assistant
- Radiation Protection Technology
- Radiological Science and Technologies
- Respiratory Care Therapy
- Surgical Technologies
- Ultrasound and Sonography Technologies
School Selection Criteria
Before choosing a program, consider the following:
- Certification is not mandatory, but many employers prefer some form of national credentialing; for this reason, students may look for programs that prepare them for exams through the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonographers or Cardiovascular Credentialing International.
- Students may want to look for undergraduate degree programs that offer specific coursework and academic tracks in cardiac sonography while still offering a broader view of general sonography.
- Students should make sure they meet minimum admissions requirements. For instance, some certificate programs require students to have some pre-existing medical experience, licensure or a degree within a related healthcare field.
Certificate for Cardiac Ultrasound
Both certificate programs in cardiac sonography are commonly designed for individuals who already hold a degree in a relevant health science field. Exceptions may be made for those who hold another form of medical licensure or who pass a qualifying exam. These programs may take 1-2 years to complete. Clinical practicums may be offered either in the classroom setting or at off-campus facilities.
Associate's Degree Program in Cardiac Ultrasound
Associate's degree programs may be offered in diagnostic medical sonography or cardiac sonography. These programs expose students to ultrasound machinery and cardiac sonography procedures. Clinical experience is commonly required.
Bachelor's Degree Program for Cardiac Ultrasound
Bachelor's degree programs in diagnostic medical sonography commonly offer cardiac education tracks that focus on the use of ultrasound machinery, echocardiography and related techniques to observe and diagnose the heart. Extensive clinical training is required at this level.
Students who want to study cardiac ultrasound can study the subject through accredited undergraduate degree and certificate programs that provide lecture-based classes and experiential education. Graduates can improve their job prospects by seeking certification.