Child, Family and School Social Workers: Career Info and Requirements

Sep 13, 2019

Child, family and school social workers can be employed by government agencies, schools or community service organizations. Their primary function is to help people with issues they're facing at school, work, or at home.

Essential Information

Child, family and school social workers assist individuals in confronting social and psychological issues that may arise at home, work or school. They may help individuals who face abuse, need governmental services or need mental health care. This position typically requires a bachelor's degree or a master's degree in social work. However, those interested in research or academic positions normally need a doctoral degree. All levels of these social workers usually also have to obtain state licensure or professional registration.

Required Education Bachelor's or master's degree for entry-level; doctoral degree for advanced positions
Licensure State licensure or registration is required
Job Outlook (2018-2028) 11% growth (for child, family, and school social workers)*
Median Salary (2018) $49,760 (for child, family, and school social workers)*

Source: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Career Information

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), employment for child, family and school social workers is expected to increase by 11% from 2018-2028. The demand is higher for workers arranging adoptions, supplying foster care for children in unstable living situations and assisting children who've been abused. Additionally, growing student enrollment will increase demand for school social workers. However, because state and local job openings and financial availability vary, the rate of employment naturally depends greatly on the opportunities available within each specific location.

As of 2018, state and local government, elementary and secondary schools and family services employed the most workers in this field. According to the BLS, the mean annual wage in May 2018 was $49,650 for state workers, $55,860 for local government employees, $63,000 for elementary and secondary school workers and $42,970 for those employed by individual and family services.

Career Requirements

The majority of child, family and school social workers begin with a bachelor's degree in social work, although degrees in sociology, psychology or a related field of study are also common. A Master of Social Work (MSW) is typically required for more advanced positions. Some jobs in public and private sectors, as well as those in administrative or staff positions, will generally require an MSW. College-level professors and those involved in research will need a Doctor of Social Work or a Ph.D. in Social Work.

Most child, family and school social workers are usually licensed or professionally registered. Licensure requirements vary by state, but typically include completion of a degree program and passing an exam offered through the Association of Social Work Boards. Specialty certifications are also available through the National Association of Social Workers.

In addition, they are generally expected to have excellent organizational skills, be independent workers, have great emotional maturity and possess the sensitivity to deal with a large number of people's problems on an individual basis. Social workers must be prepared to encounter a constantly changing schedule of meetings and appointments, potential understaffing, regular travel and emergency situations.

A bachelor's degree in psychology, sociology or social work can prepare individuals to become child, family and school social workers. However, it's important to note that clinical positions require a master's degree in social work, and social workers usually must be licensed by their state.

Next: View Schools
Created with Sketch. Link to this page

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?