Strategic management focuses on the success of a business entity over that of its competitors. Business managers rely on innovation, analysis of the industry, business incentives and entrepreneurship in order to compete in the business market, all of which can be studied in a strategic management doctoral program.
10 Schools with Doctoral Programs in Strategic Management
These schools offer strategic management Ph.D. programs with various focuses, such as organizational operations, marketing and economics.
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Tuition and Fees (2015-2016)*|
|University of California - Los Angeles||Los Angeles, CA||4-year, Public||$12,629 in-state, $27,731 out-of-state|
|Rice University||Houston, TX||4-year, Private||$34,750|
|Georgia Institute of Technology||Atlanta, GA||4-year, Public||$15,644 in-state, $30,064 out-of-state|
|University of Pittsburgh||Pittsburgh, PA||4-year, Public||$22,060 in-state, $35,744 out-of-state|
|Purdue University||West Lafayette, IN||4-year, Public||$10,002 in-state, $28,804 out-of-state|
|Temple University||Philadelphia, PA||4-year, Public||$16,144 in-state, $21,832 out-of-state|
|University of Kansas||Lawrence, KS||4-year, Public||$9,958 in-state, $22,049 out-of-state|
|University of Massachusetts - Amherst||Amherst, MA||4-year, Public||$14,754 in-state, $29,974 out-of-state|
|University of Maryland||Baltimore, MD||4-year, Public||$14,761 in-state, $30,145 out-of-state|
|The University of Texas at Austin||Austin, TX||4-year, Public||10,934 in-state, $20,762 out-of-state|
Sources: *National Center for Educational Statistics
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Actuarial Sciences
- Business and Commerce, General
- Business Statistics
- Customer Service Management
- Logistics, Distribution, and Materials Management
- Management Science
- Office Management
- Operations Management
- Public and Nonprofit Organizational Management
- Purchases, Acquisitions, and Contracts Management
- Transportation Management
College Selection Criteria
Students who want to enroll in a doctoral program in strategic management may want to consider the following points:
- Students wishing to work in the business world after graduation may wish to focus their studies on topics such as organizational operations, marketing or economics; those seeking positions in academia may find it more applicable to focus on research or business analysis.
- Typically, applicants only need a bachelor's degree to enter a program, although graduate education or experience can improve a candidate's advantage since programs are selective.
- Students may want to compare financial aid packages between schools; most schools offer financial aid through assistantships, research appointments and fellowships, extending annual stipends, tuition reductions or waivers to doctoral students.
- The average duration of a doctoral program in strategic management is 4-5 years, though a few schools offer part-time options for students with other time commitments, extending the length of time to complete the program.
Ph.D. in Strategic Management
A Ph.D. program prepares graduates for work as college faculty members and researchers in the field, though it can also qualify individuals to work in high-level positions of business and government. Research projects, collaborative work with faculty members and completion of a dissertation are all typically required for graduation. Ph.D. candidates may be required to teach classes.
Doctor of Philosophy programs in strategic management are typically 4-5 year programs that prepare students to work in academia, research, business and government. In addition to career goals, students might want to consider admissions requirements, financial aid options and program duration when deciding on which program to attend.