According to the U.S. Census Bureau as of 2018, Columbus was the 15th most populous city in America. With a labor force of nearly 1.1 million, Columbus boasted an unemployment rate of only 3.5% in March 2018, as compared to 4.1% for the United States as a whole. At $24.05, the average hourly wage for workers in this city is about the same as that earned by workers across the U.S. as of May 2017. Below, you can find information about the largest employers, fastest-growing occupations and fastest-declining occupations in this Ohio city.
Large cities like Columbus tend to attract large companies. According to the Columbus 2020 economic development group, based on data provided by local agencies, the following is a list of the top 10 largest private employers in the Columbus region in 2018, each of which has at least 3,000 employees:
- J.P. Morgan Chase & Co.
- Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company
- Ascena Retail Group, Inc.
- Honda of America Manufacturing, Inc.
- L Brands, Inc.
- Cardinal Health
- Huntington Bancshares, Inc.
- American Electric Power Company, Inc.
- Alliance Data Card Services
The jobs with the fastest growth in larger cities such as Columbus tend to be in healthcare services. As reported by the Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services (ODJF), Columbus is located in the Central Ohio Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA). According to the ODJF, the following are expected to be among the 10 fastest-growing jobs in the Columbus MSA from 2014-2024:
- Physical Therapist Assistants
- Home Health Aides
- Interpreters and Translators
- Physician Assistants
- Nurse Practitioners
- Speech-Language Pathologists
- Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurses
- Occupational Therapists
- Massage Therapists
- Operations Research Analysts
Fastest Declining Jobs
Not all occupations can expect to see as much growth as those in healthcare; in fact, some will see a sharp decline over the next several years in Columbus, including postal service jobs and various metal and plastic worker occupations. Statistics reflected in the ODJF's projections indicate that the following will be among the fastest-declining jobs in the Columbus MSA through 2024:
- Postal Service Clerks
- Postal Service Mail Sorters, Processors and Processing Machine Operators
- Postal Service Mail Carriers
- Switchboard Operators, including Answering Service
- Computer Operators
- Photographic Process Workers and Processing Machine Operators
- Prepress Technicians and Workers
- Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Molding/Coremaking/Casting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Grinding/Lapping/Polish/Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic