School and Ranking Information
There are a few schools in the Stockton area that offer degrees under the general umbrella of computer and information sciences, but not many offer degrees directly related to networking or telecommunications. The following school is the top institution in the area because of its relevant programs, affordable tuition rates and partnership with Cisco.
- Winner: San Joaquin Delta College, located in Stockton, CA, offers an associate's degree and three certificate programs that focus on networking and telecommunications. These programs prepare students for entry-level positions in the field of computer information science.
School Info Chart
|Category||San Joaquin Delta College|
|School Type||2-year; public|
|Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||Undergraduate: $1,104 (in-state); $6,432 (out-of-state)*|
|Computer Networking and Telecommunications Degrees Offered||Certificate; Associate's|
|Computer Networking and Telecommunications Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2013||16**|
|Most Popular Computer Networking and Telecommunications Degree Level Awarded in 2013||Certificate (13 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2010 Entering Class||25%**|
|Noteworthy||San Joaquin Delta College is a Cisco Networking Academy***|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report, **NCES College Navigator, ***San Joaquin Delta College
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Photo, Film and Video Tech
- Radio and Television Broadcasting
- Recording Arts
San Joaquin Delta College
- Credits earned in the associate's degree program may transfer to a 4-year school, and credits earned in the networking software certificate program may transfer to an associate's degree program
- Students in the associate's program can choose an emphasis in either networking or Web technology
- The Work Experience Program allows students to earn college credit while obtaining relevant paid or non-paid work experience
San Joaquin Delta College enrolls approximately 17,000 students, all of whom are undergraduates. In addition to its main campus, it operates two other campuses. The college is a member of the Higher Education Consortium of Central California. Its undergraduate offerings include certificate and 2-year degree programs related to communications technology.
The Associate in Science in Computer Information Systems program focuses on identifying and fixing computer security, software or network problems. Required courses include computer science fundamentals, information systems management, networking essentials and information security fundamentals. Courses in the networking concentration cover topics such as network security, computer operating systems and network infrastructures. Courses in the Web concentration include an introduction to e-commerce, Web animation and HTML publishing.
Students in the computer networking software certificate program cover topics such as Java, Visual Basic .Net, 'C' and Pascal programming, data communications, networking basics and network security over four semesters of study.
The computer networking competency certificate program requires 35.5 credit hours of study over three semesters. In addition to learning the fundamentals of computer science, students learn about networking essentials, computer operating systems, programming and data communications.
The 17.5-credit hour computer networking essentials program focuses on designing and implementing network software systems. Students learn microcomputer evaluation and installation, computer logic and Pascal programming.