Communicative Disorders Major: Information and Requirements

A Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts in Communicative Disorders teaches students methods for treating speech and language disorders. Students with a high school diploma can pursue this degree.

View popular schools

Essential Information

Communicative disorders refer to speech and language disorders that affect oral motor function. Students majoring in communicative disorders will explore effects and treatments related to various speech and language challenges, such as stuttering, autism, hearing impairment, developmental delays, aphasia, and brain injuries. A high school degree is required to pursue this program. Students can choose to specialize as a speech-language pathologist or speech-language pathology assistant.

Find schools that offer these popular programs

  • Audiology and Hearing Sciences
  • Speech-Language Pathology

Bachelor's Degree in Communicative Disorders

Courses in communicative disorders cover both the science behind them and the counseling skills needed to treat them. Classroom lectures and lab sessions teach the basics of diagnostic assessment and clinical treatment methods. An experiential learning component often has students work under supervision in university clinics with individuals suffering from communicative disorders. Typical classes may include:

  • Introduction to communicative disorders
  • American sign language
  • Phonetics
  • Speech and language development
  • Hearing anatomy and physiology
  • Articulation disorders
  • Speech science
  • Basic audiology
  • Speech and language assessment

Employment Outlook and Salary Information

A master's degree is frequently necessary to work as a speech-language pathologist. Pathologists work in settings such as hospitals, schools and nursing centers. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (, there were around 135,400 speech-language pathologists employed in the United States in 2014. As of May 2015, speech-language pathologists earned a median annual wage of $73,410. The growth outlook for this job from 2014-2024 is much faster than average, at 21%. Bachelor's degree holders may find work as speech-language pathology assistants.

Continuing Education Options

Becoming a speech-language pathologist commonly requires a master's degree and a license. One type of graduate degree offered is a Master of Arts in Speech-Language Pathology. The Praxis Series of the Educational Testing Service ( offers the examination necessary to earn national licensure.

A bachelor's degree in communicative disorders teaches students the science behind, and the counselling of, speech disorders. It prepares graduates to pursue master's or doctorate degrees, or to work as speech-language pathology assistants.

Next: View Schools

What is your highest level of education?

Some College
Complete your degree or find the graduate program that's right for you.
High School Diploma
Explore schools that offer bachelor and associate degrees.
Still in High School
Earn your diploma or GED. Plan your undergraduate education.

Schools you may like:

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

    • BS in Health Science
    • BS in Healthcare Administration

    What is your highest level of education completed?

    • BS/Health Information Management

    What is your highest level of education?

  • What is your highest level of education completed?

    • BS in Elementary Education / Special Education (Dual Major)
    • BS in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
    • Bachelor of Science in Behavioral Health Science
    • BS in Health Care Administration

    What is your highest level of education?

    • BS in Health Sciences
    • Health Administration (BSHA)

    What is your highest level of education completed?

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?