School and Ranking Information
With no schools located directly in Morrisville, NC, offering computer science degrees, students seeking this type of education will find several institutions in nearby cities such as Raleigh and Durham. Based on rankings, graduation rates and number of degrees awarded, the following schools are considered the top colleges and universities for computer science programs near Morrisville:
- Winner: Coming in at the top spot is the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, which has the highest overall national ranking as well as the highest ranked computer science programs and graduation rate among the schools. Computer science studies are offered at the bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree levels.
- Runner Up #1: North Carolina State University at Raleigh is the largest of the three schools in terms of enrollment, awards the highest number of computer science degrees and boasts high graduation rates, all of which help it to land in the first runner up spot. This university also awards bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees in computer science.
- Runner Up #2: Placing third is Meredith College. Though it has lower graduation rates and awards the least number of degrees in the field of study, this college is a highly ranked regional school. Students can earn a bachelor's degree in computer science.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill||North Carolina State University at Raleigh||Meredith College|
|Rankings||20th among graduate computer science programs (2010),
30th among national universities (2014),
5th among top public schools, nationally,
17th among best value schools, nationally (2014)*
|47th among graduate computer science programs (2010),
101st among national universities (2014),
47th among top public schools, nationally (2014),
41st among best value schools, nationally (2014)*
| 2nd for regional universities in the South (2014),
6th among best value schools in the South (2014)*
|Location||Chapel Hill, NC (13.5 miles from Morrisville)||Raleigh, NC (7 miles from Morrisville)||Raleigh, NC (7.8 miles from Morrisville)|
|School Type||4-year, public||4-year, public||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)||$7,693 (undergraduate, in-state), $28,445 (undergraduate, out-of-state); $9,689 (graduate, in-state), $25,779 (graduate, out-of-state)**||$7,788 (undergraduate, in-state), $20,953 (undergraduate, out-of-state); $8,934 (graduate, in-state), $20,982 (graduate, out-of-state)**||$29,186 (undergraduate)**|
|Computer Science Degree Levels Offered||Bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees||Bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees**||Bachelor's degrees**|
|Computer Science Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||91**||310**||2**|
|Most Popular Computer Science Program in 2011-2012||Bachelor's degree (45 awarded)**||Master's degree (185 awarded)**||N/A|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2006 Entering Class||89%**||71%**||59%**|
|Noteworthy||CS department at its founding in 1964 was one of the first stand-alone CS departments in the nation||National Security Agency named the CS department a Center for Academic Excellence in Information Assurance||100% female student body**|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator
Winner: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- More than 1,000 computers in the department's computing environment
- Five research laboratories cover fields such as networking and computer security
- Graduate students are members of the Computer Science Students Association
Undergraduate and graduate CS degree programs are available through UNC's Department of Computer Science. The Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts in Computer Science programs require students to complete advanced courses in mathematics, physics, sciences, and CS. The CS courses include coverage of subject matter like systems, applications, and programming languages. With the completion of five CS courses, students may earn a computer science minor.
The Master of Science in Computer Science is a 30-hour program. Eighteen of those hours need to be in CS, and there is a thesis option. Students must show capacity to design, program, and document a program product. They can meet this requirement by completing coursework, programming assignments, or industrial experience. A Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) program has similar requirements regarding coursework and program product requirements.
Runner-Up #1: North Carolina State University at Raleigh
- ABET's Computing Accreditation Commission accredits the Bachelor of Science program
- Scholarship opportunities available for computer science students
- School has various student organizations, such as Linux Users Group and Women in Computer Science
Among the oldest in the nation, the Department of Computer Science offers Bachelor of Science, Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy programs in computer science along with a Master of Computer Science. The undergraduate program teaches students programming with an emphasis on assembly and object-oriented languages. Students learn about CS concepts related to more programming languages, operating systems (OS), data structures, and computing.
The Master of Science involves a thesis, whereas the Master of Computer Science is available online and doesn't require a thesis. The Ph.D. program offers advanced understanding in subjects like OS, computing, parallel architecture, and software engineering. Students complete the program with oral exams and a dissertation.
Runner-Up #2: Meredith College
- Canaday Math and Computer Science Club available
- Student-run Bit Lab is solely for computer science majors
- 100% of first-time undergraduates in 2011-2012 received financial aid, per the NCES
Meredith, located in downtown Raleigh, is a woman's university. A minor can be earned in various subjects, including mathematics/computer applications. Students can major in computer science and work toward either a Bachelor of Science (BS) or Bachelor of Arts (BA). The 30-credit BA program is for students seeking CS knowledge combined with other subjects. The 54-60 credit BS program offers a more extensive CS education. The school supports its CS students with many research and internship opportunities.