There are many top-rated colleges and universities with graduate computer science degrees available in the country. Find out what sets each of them apart and what kind of benefits each school provides its students.
Computer science graduate programs educate students in the theoretical basis and practical uses of information for computer systems. The three schools below have highly ranked graduate computer science programs, conferring degrees in several areas of specialization at the master's and doctoral degree levels.
These are some of the best schools from which to earn a computer science graduate degree, according to U.S. News & World Report in 2014.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, MA
|School Highlight: This school offers four graduate programs via an Electrical Engineering in Computer Science department.|
MIT's Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS) houses the school's computer science programs. There are several degree options, including Master of Science, Master of Engineering, Electrical Engineer, and Engineer in Computer Science, as well as a Doctor of Philosophy and Doctor of Science.
Stanford University in Stanford, CA
|School Highlight: This university's computer science graduate programs heavily stress research in various specialized fields of study.|
Stanford's School of Engineering contains the computer science graduate department, which offers Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy degree programs. The school has several research groups that focus on robotics, artificial intelligence, and systems and scientific computing, but the main purpose of the program is to prepare students for careers in teaching or the industrial world.
Columbia University in New York
|School Highlight: There are more than two dozen specialized computer science lab facilities on campus.|
Tied at 15th on U.S. News & World Report's list of the best computer science graduate schools, Columbia University has many benefits to offer its students. An MS in computer science or computer engineering and a PhD program are both available, as well as a Doctor of Engineering Science degree. Dual master's in journalism and computer science are available.
Top Computer Science Graduate Programs
In addition to the schools already covered, there are several more that U.S. News & World Report ranks as some of the top computer science colleges in the country. These include:
- New Jersey's Princeton University supports nine areas of research, including theory, machine learning, graphics and vision, systems and networks, and security, privacy, and policy.
- The University of California - Berkeley offers five graduate degree options.
- The University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign has National Science Foundation career award winners working as faculty in its computer science program.
- The University of Maryland - College Park hosts five research centers, including the Maryland Cybersecurity Center and the Human-Computer Interaction Lab.
- The University of Michigan - Ann Arbor features 17 research areas, including artificial intelligence, computer systems, and data science.
- The University of Texas - Austin features over 40 award-winning faculty members within its computer science graduate program.
- The University of Washington in Seattle offers hybrid master's degree program for working professionals.
- University of Wisconsin - Madison offers traditional MS and PhD programs plus professional MS format for working students.
U.S. News & World Report ranks the best computer science graduate programs, among them being MIT, Stanford, and Columbia. Many of these top schools provide opportunities for students to personalize their degrees, whether it be in the format earned, the pace it's taken, or the various opportunities for research and advanced study available in different areas.