Cosmetology instructor certificate programs are usually aimed at working cosmetology professionals who wish to teach their trade. Individuals can find these programs at technical and community colleges through their professional studies departments.
Schools with Cosmetology Programs
Many colleges offer certificate programs specifically intended for becoming a cosmetology instructor. Schools that currently provide this training include:
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered||Tuition (2015-2016)*|
|Central Carolina Community College||Sanford, NC||2-year, Public||Certificate||$2,412 in-state, $8,556 out-of-state|
|College of the Mainland||Texas City, TX||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||$1,773 in-district, $2,973 in-state, $3,873 out-of-state|
|Empire Beauty Schools||Pottsville, PA||Less than 2-year, Private||Certificate||$15,240|
|Palo Alto College||San Antonio, TX||2-year, Public||Associate's||$2,088 in-district, $5,550 in-state, $10,740 out-of-state|
Source: *National Center for Education Statistics
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Aesthetician and Skin Care
- Barber and Hair Cutting Services
- Beauty Salon Management
- Cosmetology, Hair, and Nail Instructor
- Facial Treatment Specialist
- Hair Design
- Make-Up Artist
- Nail Technician - Manicurist
- Permanent Cosmetics and Tattooing
School Selection Criteria
When choosing a cosmetology school, some considerations to bear in mind include:
- Some schools provide students with the preparatory coursework to complete the Cosmetology Instructor Licensure Exam, providing them with the necessary licensure to work in the field.
- Some cosmetology instructor programs require students to take an instructional practicum that provides direct hands-on experience teaching cosmetology students.
- Schools located in larger and more populated areas may have more opportunities for students to find work after graduation.
Certificate of Completion - Cosmetology Instructor
Cosmetology instructor certificate programs can take 18 months to two years to complete. The program builds upon education and experience received as a cosmetologist. The curriculum explores teaching methodologies, as well as lecturing and recordkeeping. Prior to completion of the program, learners gain hands-on experience planning lessons and training students through one or several practicum experiences. Graduates of the program will be prepared to complete a state examination to become a licensed cosmetology instructor.
Cosmetology instructor programs help students gain the necessary skills to teach and to gain state licensure after graduation. Students are taught a combination of cosmetology methodologies and general management skills in these programs.