School and Ranking Information
Pittsburgh, PA, has nine schools within a 25-mile radius that offer criminal justice programs. Based on graduation rates and program offerings, the top three are Point Park University, La Roche College and Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Beaver.
- Winner: Point Park University offers both bachelor's and master's degrees and is ranked among regional universities by U.S. News & World Report.
- Runner-Up #1: La Roche College is also ranked among regional universities by U.S. News & World Report. It offers bachelor's degrees.
- Runner-Up #2: Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Beaver also offers bachelor's degrees and features an on-campus lab.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Point Park University||La Roche College||Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Beaver|
|Rankings (2014)||#111 among regional universities (North)*||#33 among regional universities (North)*||N/A|
|Location||Pittsburgh, PA||Pittsburgh, PA||Monaca, PA (22.2 miles from Pittsburgh, PA)|
|School Type||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)|| $25,190 (undergraduate)
|$24,058 (undergraduate)**|| $13,350 (undergraduate, in-state)
$19,906 (undergraduate, out-of-state)**
|Criminal Justice Degree Levels Offered||Bachelor's and master's degrees||Bachelor's degrees||Bachelor's degrees|
|Criminal Justice Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||71**||18**||4**|
|Most Popular Criminal Justice Degree Level in 2011-2012||Bachelor's degree (52 awarded)**||N/A||N/A|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2006 Entering Class||50%**||53%**||45%**|
|Noteworthy||The on-campus Crime Scene Investigation House offers mock crime scenarios||Chairman of the Justice, Law and Security Department is a former FBI agent||N/A|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator
Winner: Point Park University
- Criminal justice students can join Alpha Phi Sigma, the national criminal justice honor society
- Internships with local police departments and corrections agencies are available
- High school students can attend a CSI summer camp
Students at Point Park University can earn bachelor's and master's degrees in criminal justice. In addition to a traditional 4-year bachelor's program, the school offers accelerated and capstone programs for students with at least 60 transferable credits or an associate degree. The curriculum for each bachelor's program covers criminal evidence, forensic psychology and criminal law, among other topics.
The master's program in criminal justice administration includes courses in research design, economics of the criminal justice system and organizational behavior. In order to graduate, students complete either a capstone course or a thesis. A 5-year combined bachelor's/master's program in criminal justice is available as well.
Runner-Up #1: La Roche College
- Students in the accelerated program can take online and blended learning classes
- With a high GPA, students can join the school's Honors Institute
- Study abroad opportunities are available
La Roche College offers a 120-credit Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice program. The curriculum includes police and society, intelligence analysis, criminal investigations and criminal law, and students may complete internships for elective credit. Professionals who have five years of criminal justice work experience can enroll in an accelerated program that awards 48 advanced-standing credits. A related bachelor's degree in national security studies is available as well.
Runner-Up #2: Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Beaver
- On-campus crime lab
- Personal counseling services are available
This school's Bachelor of Science in Administration of Justice program includes an internship that allows students to gain hands-on research and field experience. Students can choose from two emphasis areas. The field research specialization is designed for those seeking entry-level jobs after graduation, while the research and policy analysis specialization is tailored to students seeking research or academic positions. Regardless of emphasis area, courses in crime and justice, women and the criminal justice system, criminology and race are part of the curriculum.