School and Ranking Information
While there are five colleges near Henderson, NV, that offer chef training programs, the following three are the best in the area based on programs, student services and rankings:
- Winner: College of Southern Nevada is not only accredited by the American Culinary Federation (ACF), but has achieved exemplary status in their rankings.
- Runner Up #1: Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts - Las Vegas is also accredited by the ACF and offers a number of programs for the aspiring chef.
- Runner Up #2: Mohave Community College, which is farther away, also offers multiple culinary and chef training programs.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||College of Southern Nevada||Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts - Las Vegas||Mohave Community College|
|Location||Las Vegas, NV (21.9 miles from Henderson)||Las Vegas, NV (25.8 miles from Henderson)||Kingman, AZ (94.5 miles from Henderson)|
|School Type||4-year, public||2-year, private for-profit||2-year, public|
|Undergraduate Tuition & Fees 2012-2013||$2,700 (in-state), $9,345 (out-of-state)*||$12,567*||$2,016 (in-state), $7,488 (out-of-state)*|
|Culinary Programs Offered||Certificates; associate degrees||Certificates; associate degrees||Certificates; associate degrees|
|Culinary Degrees and Certificates Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||33*||368*||9*|
|Most Popular Culinary Program 2011-2012||Associate in Culinary Arts/Chef Training (25 awarded)*||Associate in Culinary Arts/Chef Training (199 awarded)*||Associate in Culinary Arts/Chef Training (5 awarded)*|
|Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal program time)||9% (2006 entering class)*||51% (2009 entering class)*||33% (2009 entering class)**|
|Noteworthy||Paid and unpaid internships available||Career services available for current students and alumni||Program includes an externship experience|
Sources: *NCES College Navigator
Winner: College of Southern Nevada
- Student-run restaurant for hands-on experience
- Professional development and leadership certificate programs offered to CSN students
- Student apprentices for Team Las Vegas attended the International Culinary Olympics in Germany and received a silver medal
The College of Southern Nevada offers students an Associate of Applied Science in Culinary Arts, an Associate of Applied Science in Pastry Arts, and certificate programs in both culinary arts and pastry arts. Students learn in the college's facilities in Cheyenne, which includes a 45,000 square-foot state-of-the-art facility, classrooms, six kitchens, a bar/lounge, and a training restaurant run through the joint efforts of both culinary and hospitality students. All faculty members have at least five years experience and college credentials, and many members hold certifications through professional organizations, such as the American Culinary Federation. Culinary specific scholarships are available.
Runner-Up #1: Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts - Las Vegas
- Students gain industry experience with a 180-hour externship
- Flexible scheduling available
- Students attend demonstrations and guest presentations and take part in clubs and organizations
Students attending Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts - Las Vegas may pursue a certificate or diploma in either culinary arts or pastry arts and baking, or they may wish to further their education with an associate degree in the same fields. Students gain hands-on experience through practical application in the college's restaurant, which is open to the public. Students are taught all aspects of cooking from basic terminology and knife skills to more advanced skills, such as butchering and smoking meats, cutting techniques, plating styles, decorative desserts, and thematic or special events. Professional chefs teach courses, and the program and curriculum are overseen by Certified Master Chefs.
Runner-Up #2: Mohave Community College
- Job placement and career services available
- Hands-on experience through an externship and on-site labs
Students attending Mohave Community College may elect to study for either a 45-credit comprehensive certificate in culinary arts or a certificate in baking and pastry. A 60-credit Associate of Applied Science in Culinary Arts and Hospitality Management program is also available, which includes instruction for cooking techniques along with management and business applications. The certificate in baking and pastry program may be sought in conjunction with the culinary arts certificate or as a stand-alone certificate.