School and Ranking Information
A student near Fort Lauderdale, FL, can choose from six programs in digital media or a related area, such as digital communications and emerging media. The top three, based on graduation rate, are:
- Winner: University of Miami (UM) is ranked first because of its national U.S. News and World Report ranking, its high graduation rate and plethora of production facilities.
- Runner-Up #1: Lynn University (LU) takes second place since it has an award-winning student newspaper and houses up-to-date digital facilities.
- Runner-Up #2: Florida Atlantic University (FAU) has a high graduation rate and has award-winning faculty.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of Miami||Lynn University||Florida Atlantic University|
|Ranking (2013)||44th for Top National University*||N/A||N/A|
|Location||Coral Gables (29.2 miles from Fort Lauderdale)||Boca Raton (18.4 miles from Fort Lauderdale)||Boca Raton (18.4 miles from Fort Lauderdale)|
|School Type||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)||$41,220 (undergraduate); $30,784 (graduate)**||$32,600 (undergraduate); $23,340 (graduate)**||$4,789 (undergraduate, in-state); $17,234 (undergraduate, out-of-state); $6,657 (graduate, in-state); $17,885 (graduate, out-of-state)**|
|Digital Media Award Levels Offered||<1-year certificates; bachelor's and master's degrees||Bachelor's and master's degrees; post-master's certificates||Bachelor's and master's degrees|
|Digital Media Certificates and Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||9**||50**||100**|
|Most Popular Digital Media Program (2011-2012)||Bachelor's in Digital Communication and Media/Multimedia (9 awarded)**||Bachelor's in Radio, Television, and Digital Communication, Other (9 awarded)**||Bachelor's in Digital Communication and Media/Multimedia (100 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2006 Entering Class||81%**||40%**||41%**|
|Noteworthy||School of Communication has equipment to remote broadcast anywhere on campus||Starting in Fall 2013, entering undergraduate students receive an iPad mini||Most diverse student population among public Florida universities|
Sources: *US News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
Winner: University of Miami
- Cutting-edge multimedia labs, motion picture studios, and television and radio facilities are accessible for student projects.
- School has two interactive conference centers for remote video programming and interviews
- Student programming is available to the community through local cable TV and online streaming
- School provides access to media facilities, including an FM radio station, several websites for student content, and PRADUM, a public relations and advertising agency
- Professional internships are available to juniors and seniors
UM offers a Bachelor of Science in Communication with a major in electronic media and a Master of Fine Arts in Interactive Media through its School of Communication. The bachelor's program offers media and production classes, and it covers current technology used across multiple media platforms. A minor is also required of all communications majors.
The interactive media master's program is multidisciplinary, and it examines the effects of emerging interactive technology on mass communication. The program explores interaction design, gaming, and data visualization. Master's students complete projects from research to completion. The school also has a 5-week certificate program in Web design, offered through the Division of Continuing and International Education.
Runner-Up #1: Lynn University
- School has state-of-the-art production and post-production facilities for TV, film, and radio
- Accelerated degree options
- The College of International Communication runs iPulse, an award-winning newspaper with an interactive website
- Many media classes are offered in the evenings
- Internships are available
The dean of LU's College of International Communication, David L. Jaffe, has participated in developing new mass media technologies, including building the 1st online radio station connected to a daily newspaper. The college offers a Bachelor of Arts program in communication and emerging media, as well as a bachelor's program in multimedia journalism. Students can also pursue a master's degree and a post-master's certificate in digital media.
The master's program is intended for current professionals and recent graduates planning careers in media or media theory. Topics covered include law, history, and practical digital media applications. LU encourages experiential learning by way of activities such as community service, leadership training, and internships.
Runner-Up #2: Florida Atlantic University
- Scholarships and internships are available to communications students
- Digital media faculty include award-winning animators and designers
- School hosts Proteus, an interdisciplinary initiative to explore the communication possibilities of new media
FAU operates six campuses across the state. The School of Communication is located at the oldest and largest campus in Boca Raton. Students can pursue a Bachelor of Arts in Multimedia Studies with a focus in film, video, and new media, and an MFA in Media, Technology, and Entertainment. The bachelor's program focuses on analysis but also offers artistic and technical training. The MFA is an interdisciplinary program offered in collaboration with the Department of Computer and Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. Topics taught include computer animation, video production, and interactive media, along with data delivery, coding, and interface design.